Topic: Two questions

silverchief    -- 06-08-2012 @ 1:04 PM
  First - on my 46 coupe, one wind wing fits and closes nicely. The other has about 1/4 gap where edge of glass meets window - from middle down. Does not close tight.

Am reluctant to go bending cold on tabs that hold the pivot bolt. Close inspection and measurments at other window show no difference in position or angle of tabs on bad wind wing. Placed a vertical level on large window chrome strip holding lacing, and it is perfect up and down on large windows for both doors. Wind wing flops easily in all direction when unbolted at top.
Any suggestions?

Second question, does the chrome trim piece covering the dash gauges pop off from inside the car to allow access, or is it bolted through the dash?

Thanks very much.

This message was edited by silverchief on 6-8-12 @ 1:33 PM

supereal    -- 06-08-2012 @ 2:18 PM
  Do you have crank out wings, or a button handle lock? The lower pivot may be worn or bent. The door window channel that provides an adjustment may allow you to get a better fit. It requires removing the garnish molding, the arm rest and the door panel for access to the bracket on the bottom of the channel. I've had a problem with repro rubber around the opening that doesn't allow the window to seat properly, too. As to the gauge trim, are you trying to remove the stainless trim around the face of the gauges, or the gauges? The gauges come out from the rear of the dash, and the trim bolts thru the dash. If you remove the gauges, be aware that there is a cork gasket between the gauges and the glass that is difficult to keep in position as the gauge is fastened.

trjford8    -- 06-08-2012 @ 7:20 PM
  Bob gave you the correct advice on removing the gauge trim. In addition when putting it back on do not tighten the nut too tight. The studs are soldered to the trim panel and come loose easily from the panel if tightened too tight.

Old Henry    -- 06-08-2012 @ 9:40 PM
  There is actually a screw holding the top of the stainless channel that the windwing closes on. You could loosen that screw up at the top and possibly get enough movement of that channel toward the wind wing to close the gap without having to remove the window frame and door panel to adjust the bottom end. The screw may be under felt/brush at the top of the channel on the side toward the rear of the car.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

silverchief    -- 06-09-2012 @ 1:35 PM
  Thanks guys - I have crank out winddows with a pull tight button at bottom once they are closed. I am
going to look for the screw Ole Henry is talking about.
Fit is not bad enough that I am going to pull a door panel. I was hoping the dash trim piece that covers the gauges would pop off from inside the cabin so I could clean and tighten connections - but I am having no problems that warrant the hassle of unbolting things under the dash. My "little jewel" now jumps to life with a tap on the starter button, idles smooth as glass, is quiet as cats paws, and has delivered me home reliabely from several Sunday morning trips to the donut shop. FINALLY!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4768