Topic: Question New Starter Motor for 41 Ford

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-07-2012 @ 4:55 PM
  The car is a 1941 Ford with V8 engine

My orig starter stopped working, and I am trying to make a cruise event next Monday.

I purchased a new starter motor from MAC's ( at the time I did not have a catalog - but spoke to the tech dept ) - and when I received the starter today I was surprised to find out that I cannot get the bendix end of the motor to even enter the bellhousing - as it will not clear the flywheel gear.

I called them and they looked it up and advised that I should get the orig type of bendix asm ( they sell this as well ) and remove the one that came with the starter. Non the less - I was not too happy with this - but apparently this is the only choice when buying a new starter...

So now to my question - does anyone have experience with removing the bendix asm on one of these new starter motors and fitting the orig bendix type asm?

Thxs,
John

kubes40    -- 06-07-2012 @ 6:07 PM
  I hate to see stuff like this happen. It simply is NOT RIGHT!
Me? I'd send it back. If you charged it (no doubt) file a claim to get ALL of your money refunded.
These companies need to understand they can't continue to sell cr*p.
That being said, go to NAPA. They can have a correct and re-manufactured starter the day after you order one on their counter for you. I bought one a couple of months ago. $109. They are reman'd correctly!
Tell the guy 1948 as they don't always have books back to 1941. Same starter...

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-07-2012 @ 6:46 PM
  Well in an attempt to ensure I get to the cruise in next Monday - I managed to figure out how to
A) remove the newer type bendix asm the starter came with - ended up compresssing the bendix asm back towards the motor and backed out the set-screw, then removed the key - this allowed the whole bendix asm to be removed from the shaft
B) installed my original factory bendix unit - so now I have the new motor with the orig bendix asm.

Just be aware that the new starters ( while they seem like a easy swap ) may not fit your exact application and require refitting your original bendix onto the new motor. ( Now that I have a copy of their catalog ) I see they have a note on the bendix not clearing, had I had a catalog first time - I would have bought a refurbished orig - though you see the new starters can be made to fit ( if need be )

Best and thanks for the note -
John
Michigan

supereal    -- 06-07-2012 @ 8:17 PM
  That's why we buy most from C&G. Their people actually know what they are selling. They are hobbyists, as well as parts sellers.

TomO    -- 06-08-2012 @ 8:15 AM
  Kube has hit the nail on the head. The vendors should not be let off the hook when they supply us with parts that cannot be used without modification.

I prefer the re-manufactured starters over the new ones from China.

Tom

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-08-2012 @ 5:35 PM
  To all - I contacted Napa -just to see if they had a rebuilt unit - the one close by in Plymouth Mi - did not, though good news none-the-less, they will have your original unit rebuilt at their authorized rebuilder and it takes 4-5 days turn around. I like that you get to retain the cars original starter as well + get the warrenty.

Something to keep in mind especially if you have the time for the rebuild.

Best,
John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4762