Topic: Mechanic and body shop

Buckyboy    -- 12-19-2009 @ 6:32 PM
  I am hoping to join the ranks of the flathead owners soon as I have been looking for a 1936. In anticipation of finding a car I would like to find out if anyone knows of any mechanics that specialze in flathead engines/1930s Fords and any body shops that are experienced in the same that are in the Orange County, California area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 7:36 PM
  Buckyboy, You are smack dab in the middle of the largest concentration of Ford enthusiasts in California. My suggestion is to join the National club EFV8CA, and one or more of our local regional groups in your area. You'll get leads coming out your ears for good cars, good friends, good shops and mechanics, and you'll have our National award winning magazine, The V8 Times. I know you've been around awhile, as I remember you from our old forum. Come on, get with the program here!

Alan

Buckyboy    -- 12-19-2009 @ 7:50 PM
  Ford 38V8. Thanks for the suggestions; I will look into the local clubs. Actually I am new to flathead Fords and just started visiting this board in October so I think you may have me mixed up with someone else. Also, I am a member of the Early Ford V-8 club (just joined in October when I found out about the club) and also purchased the 1935/6 book so that I can start learning about these cars. Anyway, anyone with any suggestions in the meantime would be much appreciated.

NATESBPD    -- 12-20-2009 @ 7:40 AM
  H&H Flatheads is in La Cresenta CA... web address http://www.flatheads-forever.com

They know their stuff.. they are doing a 1934 Flathead for me now. Removing the Babbitt bearings and everything.

trjford8    -- 12-20-2009 @ 8:30 AM
  Buckyboy, let us know exactly what body style you are looking for and we might be able to help. Since you are new to flatheads I would suggest that you try to find a car that is an older restoration or a car that fits into the "touring" category.I would not look for anything that is a project at this point. A running car may cost a little more money, but it will save you a lot in the long run. When you go look at a car take someone with you that knows old Fords who can be a second set of eyes.
Since you live in SoCal you could spend a Sunday at the Pomona swap meet. You might also check the front page of this site and look through the regional group websites/newsletter. May times good cars are posted in the newsletters.Do not buy a car without physically inspecting it. There's way too many stories of disappointment when someone bought a car based solely on photos and someones's word.

Buckyboy    -- 12-20-2009 @ 6:02 PM
  Thanks for the great advice. What I am hoping to find is a Tudor that has already been restored to stock condition and is detailed (or possibly a Fordor if it is in spectacular condition). Definitely not looking for a project. That is a good idea in terms of checking the regional pages. For any long distance purchase I will definitely have an inspection done. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

trjford8    -- 12-20-2009 @ 7:50 PM
  Buckyboy, check Craigslist. If you go to California and search the counties you will find quite a few cars. In the Orange county section there is a nice looking 40 deluxe tudor in Fallbrook, Ca., in L.A. County there is a 36 fordor and two 40 fordors, and in San Diego there is a 36 fordor.The San Diego car looks good , but may be a little pricey for a 4 door.

Buckyboy    -- 12-20-2009 @ 8:02 PM
  Thanks. I am only looking for a 1936 (preferably a Tudor). I have inquired about the 1936s on Craigslist but none looked like they were in the condition I am hoping to find. I keep checking there everyday though. Thanks.

Buckyboy    -- 12-21-2009 @ 9:27 PM
  I am checking with the local chapter, but if anyone has any mechanic or body shop recommendations in Orange County, California please let me know. Thanks.

TomO    -- 12-22-2009 @ 7:15 AM
  Buckyboy, here is a web site that allows you to search the internet for a car.

http://www.ownster.com/

Unfortunately there were only street rods when I searched for a 36 Ford. You should check this site frequently as new listings are posted daily.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=476