Topic: '36 condenser question

Flatbob    -- 06-06-2012 @ 8:53 AM
  My '36 distributor appears to have two condensers yet my repair manual shows one, could someone explain this?

TomO    -- 06-06-2012 @ 9:23 AM
  One of them is a radio noise suppression condenser. It would be connected between the wire from the ignition switch to ground. The other one would be connected between the secondary of the coil and ground.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-06-2012 @ 9:28 AM
  From the photo, it appears someone has connected a second condenser in parallel with the original. Perhaps it was an attempt to fix a problem, or the original had gone open. The car really doesn't care where the condenser is located, as long as it is attached to the distributor input terminal and a ground. The size of the condenser isn't critical, but must be sufficient to form the capacity side of the tuned input circuit of the distributor that enables rapid charging of the coil. It also functions as a buffer to protect the points from arcing. I carry a spare condenser in my road kit. It has a pair of clip leads, and if needed, it clips between ground and somewhere along the wire to the distributor points. When you attach a photo, it helps to reduce the size of the picture so it can be displayed easier.

Flatbob    -- 06-06-2012 @ 9:40 AM
  Thanks for responding TomO & Super. Super, we were discussing the cause of my rough running '36, could a bad condenser be the cause of it running on 5 of 8 cylinders?
I'll see if my son can explain how to reduce the size of the image I post; I never could figure it out. When I send an email with a photo it lets me select the size but when I post on this site it doesn't provide me with a size selection.

TomO    -- 06-07-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  The points and condenser are common to all 8 cylinders. If there is something wrong with them it will affect all 8 cylinders.

You must use another program to reduce the photo size for this site. Usually the program that came with your camera will have an option to resize photos. Your photos work well with a fast internet connection, but could be reduced by 50% for faster loading on slower connections.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 06-07-2012 @ 10:21 AM
  TomO, I have ordered a new condenser for no other reason than I believe the one I have might possibly be the original. The plug wires look to be in good condition, have inspected the caps (original) & have checked the the plug wire ends going into the distributor for a good fit & contact. Will let you know what happens when I get the new condenser. Thanks for advice on picture size. Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4756