Topic: 1941 Ford Hood Release Mechanism

Norman4    -- 06-05-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  On my 1941 Ford Deluxe business coupe,if the under dash hood release mechanism fails or breaks, how does one gain access to the engine compartment?

Thanks, Norm

nelsb01    -- 06-05-2012 @ 9:58 AM
  You should be able to work with a very long screw driver and sliding it between the grille bars use it to pry the latch to one side. Those old cables dont last forever, and I have seen this technic work, although it may take a time or two.

Norman4    -- 06-05-2012 @ 10:24 AM
  Thanks for your very prompt response. Would it be practical (or possible)to attach a auxiliary wire to the hood latch that could be fished from behind the center grille and pulled to emergency hood release? Thanks, Norm

Norm

42wagon    -- 06-05-2012 @ 10:29 AM
  This topic has come up before and others have suggested making an emergency release cable that could be run through the inner fender or some other way. This could be pulled in the event the main cable failed. I had planned to do this but realized that the 42 grille would allow you to stick a very long screw driver through and push on the latch if ever the cable failed. It would appear that this method will work for any grille that has openings near the top such as the 41. Otherwise plan on making up the emergency cable suggested by others.
Ted

supereal    -- 06-05-2012 @ 10:29 AM
  That's the way we do it. Fasten a wire to the release arm, and form a loop on the other end that hangs down inside the grill where you can hook it in case the release cable breaks. The most common place to break is where the clamp on the inner wire of the cable is located.

Norman4    -- 06-08-2012 @ 12:57 PM
  OK, I carefully investigated and tried the suggested procdures for opening the hood should the dash knob hood release cable wire fail (break). On my 1941 Ford, the screwdriver trick will just not work for me. There is no way I could get a HORIZONTAL pull or push on the hood release catch arm located at the front center underside of the hood with the hood closed.The only way I can see to do it is to rig an auxiliary pull cable attached at the hood front end to the catch horizontal pull catch arm and the other end have a knob under the dash or at least through the firewall into the passenger compartment.Has anyone actually first hand succeeded in opening a 1941 Ford hood when the release cable mechanism has failed.If so, please tell me how. Many thanks. Norm

Norm

oldford2    -- 06-08-2012 @ 2:39 PM
  Bob,How do you "attach" the wire to the arm? Do you drill a hole in the arm? Then the "wire loop" hangs down behind the grille?
Thanks
John

Cougarracing    -- 09-11-2018 @ 2:55 PM
  On my 1941 Roadster I removed the left lower grille. Driver side. 4 Phillips screws. Reached my arm up and felt the latch lever. I manually turned it and had someone lift the hood and it opened. I tried the screw driver through the grille to no avail first. Found this much easier. Dave

woodiewagon46    -- 09-12-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  It happened to me when the body shop that painted my car didn't realize the pull wasn't hooked up and closed the hood. I now carry two wooden wedges or shims, used by carpenters to install doors and windows and a 1" wide piece of 16 gauge sheet metal about 12" long ( you can also use a very thin, long screw driver) wrapped in tape. Use the shims to hold up the hood and slide the push stick in and push on the lever. Works every time. Shims and push stick take up no room in my tool box and comes in handy if you need it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4750