Topic: Best gear oil for 41 transmission

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-04-2012 @ 6:29 PM
  I have a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe and am looking for advice on the best gear oil for the 3 speed transmission.

At this time the transmission shifts nicely up and down the gears -- except when the engine/transmission is up to operating temp - I have a hard time selecting 1st gear ( it grinds a lot ) and then I can get it into gear with waiting or more often then not - select 2nd and start off in this.

I heard Luca Hub Oil works in Model Ts that had the same 1st gear grind - and heard the 600w oil is a foamy mess that many guys do not like the shifter feeling.

By the way - the clutch pedal free play is properly adjusted to 1" ( Ford called for 1" - 1.25" )

Many thanks
John

Old Henry    -- 06-04-2012 @ 7:21 PM
  Two comments:

1. I don't know what your operator's manual says to put in your transmission, mine for my '47 says 80 winter and 90 summer so I put 80W-90 all year 'round.

2. With regard to grinding into 1st gear from a dead stop, you said you often just put it into second and start out in that gear. Next time you might try putting it into second then, without letting up on the clutch, put it into 1st. That's what I almost always have to do. For some reason it will go into second without grinding at dead stop, probably the syncromesh. That stops all of the gears from spinning so you can immediately put it into 1st. Don't know how much the 41 transmission is like the 46-48 but if it's the same it should work as well for you as it does for most that I've heard do that.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 06-04-2012 @ 9:22 PM
  I use 140 as I drive mostly in the summer. It leaks less, and actually aids shifting when hot. Almost all lubes set out in original owner's manuals are long obsolete. Any of today's products are light years ahead of the oils available when the vehicles were built. Avoid 600 weight, as it is abrasive, and will harm soft metal parts. It was mainly used in Model A's, as they leaked like sieves. Old Henry didn't like seals, and preferred slingers, instead.

40fordor    -- 06-05-2012 @ 8:05 AM
  Super, I think there have been comments on this forum about some modern oils that attack brass parts. Is this true to your knowledge? If so, what oils do you suggest.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4747