Topic: Oil pressure

bo8109b    -- 06-04-2012 @ 11:21 AM
  Finding low oil pressure on an engine I'm not familiar with, would like to hook up a mechanical test gauge. Is there a location on the engine other than the oil pressure sender to do this? That location is a bear to access.

supereal    -- 06-04-2012 @ 2:52 PM
  That is the place. It is a bear to work on, but it can be done. If you aren't concerned about correctness, you can install a pipe nipple and Tee fitting once the sender is out. The extra output can then be plugged until the next time you need it. Many owners of old Fords freak out about oil pressure. When the engine is hot, it isn't rare to find that the stock gauge shows no pressure until the engine is revved up. Don't worry. There is plenty of oil circulation thru the relatively wide clearances in the engine. My '47 shows about 15 lbs at street speed when the engine reaches enough heat to open my 160 degree thermostats after showing a full gauge when it starts cold. Waiting at a red light, the needle drops back against the pin. I built the engine, so I know it is OK, and has run that way for the 17 years I've owned it.

bo8109b    -- 06-04-2012 @ 3:06 PM
  Thanks supereal, thats exactly what's happening with this engine which is also rebuilt.

1934 Ford    -- 06-05-2012 @ 2:36 PM
  Supereal is right, but it can concern the new owner.
In September it will be 40 years since my first 34 Ford 21 stud V8. (Which I drove for 26 years)
I'm now at about at about a dozen total in the 40 years and some of them have made many big driving events with that lower pressure on the guage.
The fun part is that when the oil is cold and stiff, I get great pressure. Must be that oil additive "Viagroil", but it never lasts for the 4 hours of use.

bo8109b    -- 06-08-2012 @ 12:33 PM
  Hooked up a new mechanical oil pressure gauge and was surprised with the readings. Highway speeds showed 40 lbs and hot idle 17. Cold start up 50. Guess I'll buy a new 80# sender.

TomO    -- 06-09-2012 @ 2:40 PM
  You need to have an 80#pump and pressure relief valve in order to use the 80# sender. With a 50# pump or relief valve, you readings will be low. The 80# sender requires 40# to move the gauge to the center of the range.

Tom

larryb346    -- 06-10-2012 @ 8:14 PM
  Super
Is your engine running that low pressure on the original gauge or on a extra mechanical gauge?
I have been afraid to drive my 46 Mercury due to the oil pressure being almost zero at hot idle and only 5 or 10 lbs at 45 MPH.I have mounted a extra gauge and am relying on it. I am running 20/50 castrol.
Larry

bo8109b    -- 06-12-2012 @ 7:05 PM
  With a new oil sender from Little Dearborn, my dash gauge shows the same readings as the mechanical test gauge. The defective sender was new from Mac's.

supereal    -- 06-12-2012 @ 7:22 PM
  I'm not surprised about defective parts from that source. As to my oil pressure, I don''t worry about it. I built the engine 17years ago, and have driven my '47 many miles since then with no problems. I use Castrol 20W-50. The flatheads receive plenty of lubrication as long as the oil level in the pan is OK. The relatively wide clearances allow plenty of circulation. Too many owners obcessed about it. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

joe b    -- 06-13-2012 @ 8:36 AM
  bo8189b I guess my problem is a defective sender from Mac's also. While working over my engine I decided to install a new 80# just because. The old unit was all rusted and dented so I replaced for looks mainly. Now, the maximum oil pressure I get is 20psi regardless of temp. I changed nothing else. I run Castrol 20/50 and always had high oil pressure.

I will follow Super's advice and not worry about it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4740