Topic: fuel line ferrules

jeffsang    -- 06-03-2012 @ 3:21 PM
  When soldering ferrules to fuel line, what solder works best, type and diameter

Jeff

supereal    -- 06-03-2012 @ 3:55 PM
  We don't solder ferrules. If the line is undamaged, and the ferrule is correctly sized, the fitting will compress it tightly.

jeffsang    -- 06-03-2012 @ 6:18 PM
  Supereal, in one of your previous posts, you stated that we like to solder the ferrules to the lines. Look at "94 Float Level discussion", 9-26-11. I'm having trouble sealing my gas line from pump to carb and was wanting to know what your method was. Another question I have is this copper coated steel fuel line. I ordered a kit from Mac's part # 9282 same as C&G and Carpenters and it seems to be 100% copper. It was so easy to bend and a magnet will not stick to it. Is this ok to use?

3w2    -- 06-03-2012 @ 8:26 PM
  Like Ford did originally, I solder the ferrules using either 50/50 or 60/40 general purpose (non-electrical) solder.

Similarly, I use the same Bundy double-wrapped copper-plated steel tubing that Ford used. Some say plain copper tubing is fine, but that begs the question of why Ford went with the more expensive copper-steel tubing.

supereal    -- 06-03-2012 @ 8:45 PM
  We do solder them if the line isn't in good condition. If a ferrule doesn't seal without it, it may have been used before. The problem with soldering is that any left on the radius of the ferrule may leak. Be sure the fittings are in good condition. We seldom reuse them. Never use copper line for fuel. Vibration will cause it to crack. Some vendors have passed off all copper instead of the copper coated steel. Either they don't know the difference, or think you don't.

TomO    -- 06-04-2012 @ 7:34 AM
  For the correct copper coated steel fuel line, order it from Roy Nacewicz. The line sold by other vendors seems to have a very thin coating and they rust much sooner than the line sold by Roy.

Use plumbers solder to solder the ferrule. Heat the ferrule and hold the solder on the line. When the line is hot enough, the solder will flow to the ferrule.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4736