Topic: Removing Undercoating

MOXIE    -- 12-19-2009 @ 8:25 AM
  My 35 car has a undercoating that was sprayed on the bottom of the body. I would like to remove. Does anyone know an easy way to remove it. Eastman has a spray solution in a can that I tried with no luck in it working.

supereal    -- 12-19-2009 @ 9:03 AM
  The words "easy" and "removing undercoating" should never be used in the same sentence! If the substance wasn't sprayed over rust, etc, it is firmly attached to the metal, and will resist all attempts to get it off. We use a heat gun and a sharp scraper when we have to get to the underlying metal. There were two main types of undercoating: rubberized and petroleum based. Both will burn if a flame is applied. Any effective solvents, such as lacquer thinner or acetone, create explosive fumes with greater force than gasoline, and can't be safely used. More than one car has been destroyed trying it, not to mention serious or fatal burns. Many give up trying, and apply a fresh coat to improve the appearance.

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 11:46 AM
  Moxie, The easiest way to remove undercoating is to remove the car. I agree with Bob, it can be very dangerous. I still bear the scars of dripping burning undercoat that had to be pulled off my skin while still aflame.

Alan

51f1    -- 12-20-2009 @ 4:32 PM
  Eastwood claims they have something that removes undercoating.

Richard

FIGS48    -- 12-20-2009 @ 8:18 PM
  Aircraft stripper works to help soften the undercoating ,but you sill haveto do A LOT OF SCRAPING
sanding disk on an air grinder works well after most of the undercoat is removed
Fig48-

bigvince    -- 12-28-2009 @ 9:24 AM
  I had the same problem on my 48 Woodie. Used a heat gun to soften up the undercoating and then scr*pe it off. Spray some mineral spirits or kerosene on the metal and use coarse steel wool to scrub the metal. It's slow but it it's the best way. I've restored four cars and have used the same way to remove undercoating. It works.

Vince

This message was edited by bigvince on 2-5-10 @ 12:20 AM

49inthefastlane    -- 12-31-2009 @ 10:26 AM
  Vince has it right. The heat gun works great. Also, a car might have really great original paint beneath that under coating. Use a wood or plastic scraper at first to see what is there as a metal putty knife might scrape to bare metal. Worked on my 49.

49inthefastlane    -- 12-31-2009 @ 10:27 AM
  Vince has it right. The heat gun works great. Also, a car might have really great original paint beneath that under coating. Use a wood or plastic scraper at first to see what is there as a metal putty knife might scrape to bare metal. Worked on my 49.

bigvince    -- 02-05-2010 @ 12:24 AM
  Here's an after shot and you can see the other inner fender that hasn't been stripped. Note: this is the original Ford paint underneath the undercoating!

This message was edited by bigvince on 2-5-10 @ 12:31 AM

bigvince    -- 02-05-2010 @ 12:30 AM
  Here's the before

flathead4rd    -- 02-05-2010 @ 6:19 AM
  Yep. Vince is right. Heat gun, scr*per and patience.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=473