Topic: Starter Solenoid

daoust    -- 05-29-2012 @ 12:11 PM
  Looking to replace the starter solenoid on my 1947 Ford convertible. A couple questions. The parts catalogs offer them with a steel case or a "bakelite" case; with or without FOMOCO script and with or without a "convenience button" on top. Which is the correct set-up in terms of original correctness?

Correct part number?

David Daoust

supereal    -- 05-29-2012 @ 3:10 PM
  David: The solenoid on my '47, which I believe is the original, is black Bakelite with button on the bottom. It is shown in the C&G catalog as 21A-11450. They include a photo, which matches the one on my car. There is no script that I can make out.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-29-12 @ 3:11 PM

TomO    -- 05-30-2012 @ 6:54 AM
  FOMOCO script cam about around late 1948 and would be incorrect for your 47. Dennis Carpenter has the solenoid with the Ford logo and claims it to be correct for the Concourse.

His P/N is 01A-11450. The button would be on the bottom with the solenoid mounted correctly and was on the original solenoid.

The original solenoid would have been with a steel case and the button on the bottom. The Ford script would have been on one of the mounting brackets.

Tom

42wagon    -- 05-30-2012 @ 10:36 AM
  David
According to the 41-48 Ford book pages 5-11 and 5-13, the correct starter solenoid is the one with the steel can with the button on the bottom. According to the book it may or may not have have Ford script on the top side. The catalogs list it as used 1937 thru 1950. I believe the switch with the bakelite case is a later switch that certainly will work but may not be correct for your year car. In any case the FOMOCO stamp would be inappropriate.
Ted

ford38v8    -- 05-30-2012 @ 9:52 PM
  Ted, the "catalogs" you refer to are wrong. The original came out in '37, had a tall can, stamped RBM, and a knurled brass screw-on protective cover for the button. Same for '38, but without the brass cover. I think the '40 had the shorter can.

Alan

daoust    -- 05-31-2012 @ 3:37 AM
  Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

David Daoust

42wagon    -- 05-31-2012 @ 4:06 AM
  Alan
I guess this tells us never to trust what the parts suppliers put in the catalogs. I'm sure the parts will work just will not stand up to fine point judging.

This brings up another interesting point though. I have a 1931 Model A roadster that was dealer equipped with hand controls for a person who could not use their legs. (I have the dealer paperwork). Part of the rig is a dashboard mounted starter push button that could only have operated a solenoid. When I got the car it was equipped with the small can solenoid. Assuming that may have been a replacement I wonder what the original looked like. I always assumed that it probably came from a Lincoln as they apparently had a push button starter in 31.
Ted

kubes40    -- 05-31-2012 @ 6:36 AM
  Alan nailed this one right on the head.
To add a little detail... the RBM was stamped in to one of the mounting "legs". The Ford script sometimes was present on the top of the solenoid and other times, it was not.
He was also correct that in 1940 Ford went to a shorter unit than previous years. The reproductions, being the earlier "tall body" are not correct for '40 and up. Also, the plating on the reproductions is incorrect being too "bright".
FOMOCO is never correct on a 47 Ford. By the time FOMOCO came about the 47's were being driven down the roads... much to late to receive any parts identified as such.

daoust    -- 05-31-2012 @ 4:17 PM
  I found a 01A-11450 at Midwest Early Ford. Lots of other places out of stock on the same item. Steel case but not sure if it's zinc plated. It'll have to do.

David Daoust

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4721