Topic: leaf spring squeeking elimination?

chas34    -- 05-29-2012 @ 4:56 AM
  wHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ELIMINATE THE SQUEEKING IN MY '34 LEAF SPRINGS? ...

kubes40    -- 05-29-2012 @ 6:15 AM
  This has been addressed numerous times both here and on the FordBarn.
I think you'll find what most of us agree upon is the fact you must (to do this job correctly) disassemble the springs,leaf by leaf.
Once disassembled, smooth (grind) away any wear spots made by the individual leaves working against each other. These spots can easily be seen near the end of each opposing leaf.
Clean all rust, dried lubricant, etc. completely from all surfaces.
While the spring assembly is out, it is a great time to replace the shackle bushings as necessary. You may want to replace the woven pad between the cross member and top leaf as well.
Reassemble after applying lubricant between each leaf.
The type of lubricant is what many of us can't quite agree upon.
I think in the situation of a '34 spring, I'd suggest Lubriplate or a similar 5th wheel lubricant.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-29-12 @ 6:16 AM

supereal    -- 05-29-2012 @ 9:11 AM
  I agree with Mike, and would add that using a compound called "Slip Plate" will provide lubrication without grease, which attracts dirt and will eventually cause the problem to reoccur. It is a graphite based lube sold at farm stores to help prevent grain sticking in bins and elevators. You can obtain Teflon spring liners from vendors such as C&G, but they require extending the spring clips. Much squeaking is actually from the shackles, and Teflon bushings are our choice when working with springs.

chas34    -- 05-29-2012 @ 6:43 PM
  Went to Grainger Supply Store and they stock the Slip Plate spray-on product ... sounds cleaner to me so I am going to use that (this time, anyway) ... Thank you both for your responses ... us new guys need all the help we can get ...
Chas34

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4720