Topic: '34 Frame Lifting Points

carguy    -- 05-22-2012 @ 2:32 PM
  I'm going to lift my '34 Cabriolet by the frame with a 2 post hoist. I'm assuming that the best points to place the lifting pads are on the frame where the X member meets the outside rails and would appreciate confirmation or other lift points that others use.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Stroker    -- 05-22-2012 @ 3:23 PM
  Bill: That's about where I'd place them, there's not a lot you can hurt under your
34 as long as you are lifting from the outside. Some of the single post hoists of yore could dent a muffler on some models if the operator didn't adjust the lifting pads. These old frames are tough; as opposed to modern unibody vehicles that are very critical on placement.

I'm envious of your hoist, but sadly I don't currently have enough headroom for one. My old "digs" had a nice service pit, so I may have to rent a jackhammer and replicate it, as I'm getting way too old and fat to crawl around on the floor with a creeper and jackstands, which I seem to do regularly servicing my own and wife + 3 daughter's transportation.

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-22-12 @ 3:30 PM

TomO    -- 05-23-2012 @ 7:13 AM
  The safest place to put the lifting pads is at the running board supports.

Stroker, you better check the local building codes and your homeowner's insurance before you rent a jack hammer. Pits are banned in many locations due to the fact that gasoline fumes sink and collect in a pit, creating a fire hazard.

We had an open air pit next to the gas station that we used in the summer. The village made us fill it in in 1957, stating that it was a fire hazard.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-23-12 @ 7:15 AM

Stroker    -- 05-23-2012 @ 10:17 AM
  TomO: As a retired Building Official, I agree completely with your admonition. In 1976, I built
a new garage/shop and installed a pit which served me well for 21 years. Were I to do that today
in that jurisdiction, and municipal zone boundry, I would run afoul of my successor.

The present owner of that property no longer uses the pit, and has filled it to avoid the vapor trap issue.

Pits are allowed in most jurisdictions in Iowa as long as there is adequate positive air exchange, and appropriate drains with Iowa Department of Natural Resources approved monitoring systems under the International Building Code and International Fire Code as adopted locally. Several modern truck repair facilities in our area are so equipped, as well as a local locomotive rebuilding facility, a quick-lube and a muffler shop.

Always check with your local jurisdiction BEFORE building or digging anything! Having said all of that, I really DO miss my old pit!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4701