Topic: 47 Ford brake shoe relining?

ford1941    -- 05-21-2012 @ 1:28 PM
  I am relining the original front and rear brake shoes for my 47 Ford and had three questions: 1) Which brake linings are best to use the original woven style or the new molded ones? (and why?) 2) Aside from the rivets, is any form of adhesive ever used to secure the brake linings to the shoes? Lastly, 3) is there any health risk of asbestos exposure when either removing old, original brake linings or installing the new ones (do they still use asbestos?). Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

supereal    -- 05-21-2012 @ 5:08 PM
  1. The best linings are usually the riveted type. Others are often too hard or soft. 2'. Adhesive bonding often is done to mask poor quality linings. 3. Asbestos hasn't been used for many years. I'd be wary of many NOS linings which may contain the material.

TomO    -- 05-22-2012 @ 7:06 AM
  Scott, your linings could have asbestos if they were made before 1980. Use soap and water to wash the dust off of the linings, drums and backing plates.

The woven style linings were used on the mechanical brakes, the molded linings were used from 1939 and up.

The riveted linings give more space for the dust to go, making them quieter than the bonded linings.

Buy your shoes from a reliable supplier, to ensure that the linings are for non-power brakes.

Tom

ford1941    -- 05-22-2012 @ 9:13 AM
  Supereal & Tom, thanks for the advice. I already cleaned up all the shoes with soap and water as Tom suggested, and wore a professional chemical/dust mask when removing the old linings to be on the safe side.

I already have a set of new woven liners & rivets in my possesion that the previous owner had purchased, but it sounds like it might be better for me to buy a good set of molded ones to rivet on. Do you agree? Are there any suppliers you really like?(C&G, Mac's, Dick Sparado, Van Pelt?)

Thanks, Scott

supereal    -- 05-22-2012 @ 9:39 AM
  We use C&G (800/266-0470). You send your shoes to them as cores, and they send identical replacements fully lined. If you prefer to install the linings yourself, the kit for all four wheels, rivets included, the number is 91A-2018. You can see the array of parts at www.cgfordparts.com

ford1941    -- 05-22-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  Guys- Thanks for all the great advice. I just ordered some new molded linings from C&G that I'll rivet on to my original shoes. Scott

This message was edited by ford1941 on 5-22-12 @ 7:58 PM

supereal    -- 05-23-2012 @ 10:01 AM
  If you don't have the rivet setting tools, most shops that speialize in truck repairs can do it.

ford1941    -- 05-23-2012 @ 12:16 PM
  I have a tool I bought a while back made just for setting brake rivets. In addition to that, I have some experience working with tubular rivets and have a squeezer tool and multiple rivet setter dies from some rivet work I did on my 41 convertible, so hopefully I can handle these. If not, I will go that route. I already know the owner of one truck repair shop that I know does this kind of work should I need help. Thanks again, Scott

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4697