Topic: Bob Drake shock/Swaybar kit

thirtysixford    -- 05-20-2012 @ 1:22 PM
  Anyone have any feedback on this kit? BD-1800-K

Seems like a really good deal at $148.

http://www.bobdrake.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=BD-18000-K

supereal    -- 05-20-2012 @ 2:56 PM
  Some of Drake's shock kits require that the lower rear mount must be welded to the axle housing. Unless you have the equipment and skill, it could complicate the installation.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-20-12 @ 2:57 PM

Stroker    -- 05-20-2012 @ 3:20 PM
  Thirtysix&Bob: I looked at the Drake offering, and it appears to mount the same as my 50's vintage kit does on my 38, which uses special long bolts through the backing plate to mount the lowers, replacing the rear two backing plate to axle flange bolts. Should be pretty straightforward. The only issues I've heard about are in regard to tailpipe to upper mount clearance.

supereal    -- 05-21-2012 @ 10:41 AM
  The info says that you must have a '37 or later rear end for that kit. That is why I mentioned that some earlier Drake kits require welding the lower rear mounts. As I recall, there are some clearance problems with the earlier vehicles. One of the complaints I've heard about Drake is that it is tough to get info from their order takers, so they may not be able to help.

Stroker    -- 05-21-2012 @ 3:11 PM
  thirtysix: Supereal and I discussed your problem, and I obviously didn't read the Drake catalog application sidebar. A little research would indicate that the 35-36 spring hanger and shock mount
are part of the rear radius rod assembly, whereas the 37-up has the spring hanger and shock mount integral with the axle housing. Since you have the rear-end out, you could swap-out your 36 for a 37-38 with 3.78 gears (while you're at it), and use this kit. I'm sure you would lose points in any concourse, but then maybe they would get so excited about the tubes and swaybar they wouldn't notice the axle/radius rods. On the other hand........,they might dig even deeper. My stock appearing 38 would fail the "pencil test", and I'm sure they would wonder why it has two ashtrays and no lighter (Zippo's were "cool" in the 50's).

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-21-12 @ 3:38 PM

thirtysixford    -- 05-21-2012 @ 7:35 PM
  Thanks Guys

Don't think I need to worry about concourse I have little of the '36 running gear left. 59AB, '39 trans, and I now know a '37 up rear axle with 4.44 gears. But still a nice original looking car.

The key-ways in the axle shafts are shot,so I'm looking for a complete axle with 3.78 or 3.54 gears. Would be less expensive than buying new gears and then looking for axle shafts

Stroker, the shock/spring mounts are attached to the axle 37 style. The Drake kit should fit.

Maybe I should start another post, but how do you safely remove the rear spring without it taking the top off your head?

Thanks Mike

Stroker    -- 05-21-2012 @ 8:03 PM
  I used to borrow a spring spreader from a friend that worked at a Ford dealership, but today I'd opt for renting a Porta Power. If you put enough weight in the rear of the vehicle, sometimes you can unhook one side at a time by raising the end of the spring with a bottle jack or floor jack. I'd still recommend a Porta Power though.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4693