Topic: My first engine rebuild

Esteban34    -- 05-16-2012 @ 11:44 PM
  Hello group,
I've been quiet on this list for awhile. But my 34 Tudor is nearing completion. I was just given an engine from a 36 ford pickup. It is a basket case, cast iron heads with water pumps at front of the head. I am thinking of rebuilding and would like to hear your recommendations on what to shoot for. I don't want a stock engine, but something a little snappier.
Thanks in advance for your insights.

adonde vas, estas alli
Esteban

TomO    -- 05-17-2012 @ 6:44 AM
  I would bore it just enough to clean up the taper and ridge. Any more could cause overheating problems. You could put in a mild cam to pep it up a little. Any further modifications may result in affecting the reliability of the car.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 05-17-2012 @ 7:31 AM
  If good driveability, flexibility, low speed torque, and fuel economy are concerns; I would stick with a stock camshaft.

Stroker    -- 05-17-2012 @ 8:02 AM
  The 36 cam is actually a little "hotter" grind than the later stock cams. You will pick up
a some compression when you surface the heads, which will wake up the motor a little. Just don't overdo it. Accurate measurement of clearances is a must, as well as "operating room"
cleanliness. I'd suggest new valve springs, adjustable lifters, and one piece guides with
later straight-stem valves after being sure to check intake valve to head clearance.

supereal    -- 05-17-2012 @ 9:16 AM
  If you are not building a car for show, and want something a bit more "snappier", I'd opt for a later 85 HP engine, If your "donor" engine has babbit bearings, I wouldn't spend time and money trying to get it back together. Engines built after mid 1937 have the waterpumps in the block, instead of the heads, with insert bearings.

CharlieStephens    -- 05-17-2012 @ 10:02 AM
  My first suggestion would be to find a correct '34 engine. If the '36 has inserts that would be my second choice.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-17-12 @ 10:03 AM

Stroker    -- 05-18-2012 @ 4:19 PM
  You have gotten good advice from everyone who responded. I'd suggest that before you make any
commitments, you should strip down and evaluate the donor 36. I'm not a fan of going to a 37 or
later motor, as they simply "don't look right" in a pre-37 car. The ultimate motor for your application is either 1: an original 34, or a LB-insert equipped 36 as Charlie has already posted.

We would like to hear of your progress, as many of us have "been there and done that", but we are a dying breed. I don't know how old Charlie is, but I'm 72, and I know Supereal is
a whole lot older than I am. Charlie could be over 90, but I don't know. In short, grab all you
can, because it is about your last chance to deal with folks who have actually scr*w*d with the
original motors.

Having ranted on this, I would suggest you contact some of the flathead builders that are listed,
in our links section. Us old farts are not always the "last word" when it comes to what's available.

supereal    -- 05-18-2012 @ 8:24 PM
  I don't know whether to be complimented or offended, Dan. I'm not a purist, so if updating a vehicle is a problem, don't do it. Many of the existing very early Fords are beyond restoring them to "the way Henry built them". I don't advocate radical conversion. After all, my '47 still has a very stock 59A in it, but I've shoehorned a good many engine swaps over the years, too. If his '34 is a worthy example, I'd look for an appropriate engine, but he said he wants something "snappier". I doubt an original engine would fulfill that request. And I am older than my friend, Stroker!

Stroker    -- 05-19-2012 @ 6:39 AM
  Super: That was meant to be a compliment.

Dan

supereal    -- 05-19-2012 @ 8:32 AM
  Just pulling your leg, Dan! I should mention here that appparently someone is hacking the e-mail accounts of contributors to this Forum when they are revealed. That is why it is dangerous to post your e-mail address here. If you want to contact someone, it is better to use the "personal message" feature of this site. Never open an e-mail if the subject line is left blank.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-19-12 @ 8:33 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4684