Topic: Removing interior door/window handles

w1spurgeon    -- 12-18-2009 @ 6:09 AM
  I have a tool to remove interior handles in a modern car but it doesn't seem to work on my '36 Tudor Sedan. The tool slips behind the escutcheon but doesn't release the clip. Is there a different tool for this purpose?

trjford8    -- 12-18-2009 @ 7:00 AM
  spurgeon, your tool will not work on the early Fords. The handle on your car goes onto a square shaft. The handle is held on with a round pin(about 1/8 diameter)and in turn the escutcheon holds the pin in place. Push back the escutcheon and turn the handle until you see the pin. Use a nail or an awl to push out the pin.

w1spurgeon    -- 12-18-2009 @ 10:45 AM
  Thanks, it took a little work but I got the pins out and the interior off the door. Now I'm stuck at getting the door handle out of the lock mechanism. Is there a clip or pin holding this in or do I just need to get a bigger hammer?
Incidently, what I'm trying to do is to remove some of the slop in the door opening process. Currently I have to push the handle all the way from the horizonal to a vertical position before the handle even starts to act on the opening mechanism. Have you seen this problem before and what can be done to correct it?

watwasithinking    -- 01-06-2010 @ 6:35 PM
  Years ago I made a simple tool for removing the retaining pin on door and window regulator handles. I am happy to share a photo and simple instructions on making this tool.

ford38v8    -- 01-06-2010 @ 7:55 PM
  Thomas, I've fought those darn things for years and never thought of doing what you did! good on ya and thanks for the tip. I'm gonna put it on my RG's website too.

Alan

watwasithinking    -- 01-07-2010 @ 10:52 PM
  Alan, I used that tool when I built VW's back in the 80's. For the Fords, the cloth door panels are thicker than the VW door panels and require pushing in a little deeper...therefore you'll need to make your prongs a tad longer but keep your hole 1/2 inch from the end of the prongs. With a little practice you'll be able to hold the pressure on the panel with the back of the tool resting against your chest and free your hands to remove/install the retaining pin. Sorry for the oversight causing the wrong measurements but I grabbed the VW tool instead of my Ford tool when I took my measurements and prepared the picture for posting. Another helpful aid is to make a retaining pin holder for installing the pin by using a 1/4" diameter wood dowel about 4" long and drilling a very shallow hole in one end to hold your retaining pin. This makes it easier to guide the pin through the hole in the little "PVC Tool".
Watwasithinking

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=465