Topic: 1936 Ford light switch

dicker    -- 05-08-2012 @ 10:42 AM
  The lights don't work on my 1936 Ford 4dr convertible. I have taken apart the switch at the bottom of the steering box and cleaned all the contacts, all the wires are in place solidly, and all seems to be in order, but, no lights.
The "feet" on the end of the rod seem to seat properly in the movable part of the switch. At one point the lights came on OK and then, without changing anything, out they went. I am really confused. Checked all the books and the switch is never referred to.

PLEASE help!! I need to sell the car but want all to be operating correctly.

supereal    -- 05-08-2012 @ 11:08 AM
  The switch at the end of the steering column is not one of Ford's better ideas. Sometimes it can be brought back to life by spraying the switch with a strong solvent, such as carb cleaner. Intermittant contact is often due to a weak of broken spring on the rotating part. I am attaching wiring diagram for your car so you can follow the circuits. If all else fails, C&G (800.266-0470) sells a complete replacement as part number B11655-S. It is not expensive.

40cpe    -- 05-08-2012 @ 11:15 AM
  I'm sure you have checked for a constant hot feed to the switch.

dicker    -- 05-08-2012 @ 11:52 AM
  Thanks, Supereal. They are just up the freeway so I guess for $20.00 I'll give that a try. Dicker

Dick Kurtz

dicker    -- 05-08-2012 @ 11:54 AM
  I'm not sure which wire is the constant hot feed.

Dick Kurtz

34billct    -- 05-08-2012 @ 1:28 PM
  Check the fuse under the dash, 20 amp.

TomO    -- 05-09-2012 @ 8:12 AM
  According to the wiring diagram, it is the Yellow with black tracer.

Tom

dicker    -- 05-11-2012 @ 5:09 PM
  Well, the problem seems to be that the hot feed wire had shorted out or broken so I ran a parallel wire to the hot side of the fuse holder. BUT, now as I turn the light switch, I get a dead short where the low beam should turn on. I probaly should rewire the whole car but I don't plan to do a restoration so may continue running parallel wires. After all, it is a driver, not a trailer queen!! Thanks for the help.DIcker

Dick Kurtz

ford38v8    -- 05-11-2012 @ 5:49 PM
  Dick, if all collector cars had to wait till they were restored in order to replace unsafe wiring harnesses, there would be far more car fires than there are. Good luck, and I hope your garage has a fire sprinkler system?

Alan

trjford8    -- 05-11-2012 @ 8:11 PM
  Spend the money and put in a new harness. You can get inexpensive harnesses from places like Sacramento Vintage Ford, C and G Parts, etc. Way cheaper to replace the old harness than to put out a fire that may destroy a lot more of the car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4646