Topic: 38 Underdash Cardboard Refresh

john38coupe    -- 05-05-2012 @ 6:13 AM
  Trying to salvage my underdash firewall cardboard because it is in quite nice shape and I don't really want the new fiberglass units. Its dull and dirty and was looking for guidance on how best to rejuvenate. I was thinking of wiping it down with mild soap/water, then possibly using black Kiwi shoe polish wax (carnauba wax), a light coat with a rag, letting it dry good then buffing with a shoe brush hopefully to a soft shine. Always looking for proven methods.

nelsb01    -- 05-05-2012 @ 7:38 AM
  Try using the wife's expensive vaccum with the soft haired attachment brush first. You may want to try your water method on the back side first to see how the OLD cardboard will react to the water. You may create stains that you will not be able to cover up.
I would be concerned that the water/soap combination may open up the cardboard and when you try to re-color it, you will be just ruffing up the cardboard surface.
Sorry, not answers to your inquiry, but more cautions.

trjford8    -- 05-05-2012 @ 7:46 AM
  Instead of wax I would try the black liquid shoe polish with the foam applicator. Try it on a corner where it can't be seen to make sure it will not affect the cardboard. The wax may be too shiney. Those old insulators were dull cardboard in the beginning.
I would definitely avoid using soap and water.

bo8109b    -- 05-05-2012 @ 8:20 AM
  I cleaned mine with a damp sponge and after drying, painted with Rustolium black satin.

ford38v8    -- 05-05-2012 @ 2:21 PM
  Faded Interior Cardboard
Many Ford pickup trucks can benefit from this sprucing-up trick: Try Minwax Ebony Stain on your faded interior cardboard. Just the right touch, gives a very original finish. As with all things, practice on a concealed spot first. Contributed by Patrick Malone

Alan

john38coupe    -- 05-05-2012 @ 4:25 PM
  Thanks everyone = I don't think I will try my wax idea and instead attempt the minwax and paint suggestions on the inside of the battery box first.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4633