Topic: NOV/DEC Magazine - Politically Correct ?

admiral1960    -- 12-17-2009 @ 5:04 PM
  Not trying to start a controversy but after reading the Nov/Dec issue I asked myself a question.

(I may have missed it and there may be a good reason for it, but neither front or back cover had anything on them referencing Christmas.)

My question: Did they do it on purpose trying to be PC, did they forget it or did they not have any material that was satisfactory ?

The first NOV/DEC issue I ever saw had a 1936 Hallmark card on the back cover that had a 36 coupe with a trunk load of presents going down the road. I beleve every Christmas since then there has been something on the front or back cover that referred to Christmas.

So, I was just wondering.........

Comments please, and a Merry Christmas to all !!!

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

nelsb01    -- 12-17-2009 @ 8:57 PM
  Dont get in a knot here. If you had read the magazine--the Editor's columm mentions the Holidays, page 62 has an ad that says "Order Now for Christmas" -- so it wasnt over looked.
PLEASE remember that the editor prints what he gets -- and if no one sends him a Christmas photo, then he has none to print. And also, when he asks for material, odds are that people sending pictures in, do so in the early part of the year -- so there will be trees and sunshine not snow.
I suggest that if you want to see a Christmas photo on the cover, you go out now and take one and send it in for the Nov/Dec 2010 issue. That way the editor will have one to print.
Besides -- the lead time is such that thinking about Christmas in early October is probably not what someone who lives in CA is thinking about.
And -- Merry Christmas and Happy New V-8 Year to ALL !!

nelsb01    -- 12-17-2009 @ 8:58 PM
  PS .. Thank you for your service to this great country!!

trjford8    -- 12-18-2009 @ 7:17 AM
  Allen, a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also. Knowing the editor I suspect a lack of photos led to not having a real Christmas scene on the cover. Since the editor lives in San Diego it's darn tough for him to find snow and get a photo.
I also want to say thanks for your service to our country. Our servicemen and women are our frontline for freedom. God Bless them all.

deuce_roadster    -- 12-18-2009 @ 9:17 AM
  I applaud the editor for his choice. There are people in the club who: A. don't believe in Christ B. might rather see a menorah C. Wonder why Kwanzaa is not represented.... You get what I mean. I for one value the non political, non religous nature of this hobby. The minute those kinds of "questions" come up or anti abortion stickers show up on cover cars--I would be done with the club I have been in since 1973. A seasonal picture, bright leaves in fall, snow in winter etc is fine but leave all the other stuff out. I am here for the cars.

v8teditor    -- 12-18-2009 @ 10:05 AM
  No mystery here or PC policy decision. I just didn't have a suitable Christmas type photo for the cover, at least one that was high enough resolution to use as a cover (20 megs+). I don't even have a photo of a V-8 in the snow as I've had in previous years. I agree with NelsBO1 - go out and take something. Look at the covers to see how the cars are posed, usually 3/4 view from the front and think Vertical for the front cover and horizontal for the back cover. - Merry Christmas to all.

40guy    -- 12-18-2009 @ 10:33 AM
  I dom't like all the political correctness of our day. Just because someone does not believe in Christ, does not negate the fact of Christmas being a traditional Holiday. The menorah is the symbol of Isael, this is America. Kwanzaa has only been celebrated since 1966. I said all that to say this; I don't have a problem with not having a picture concerning Christmas on the cover of our magazine. I'm just saying IF there was going to be one it should be Christmas related and not these other things I've mentioned

supereal    -- 12-18-2009 @ 2:13 PM
  Actually, the cover should have had a photo of our great editor, Jerry Windle, who is a ringer for St. Nick! All needed would be the red cap! When the V8 TIMES arrives here, whatever the season, it always seems like Christmas!

admiral1960    -- 12-19-2009 @ 5:03 AM
  Merry Christmas to all.

As I said at the start I did not want to start a controversy.

I have my answers and can act accordingly.

Thank you all for your responses, whether I agree with them or not.

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=463