Topic: 37 ford hood alignment

Harold    -- 05-03-2012 @ 10:06 AM
  I posted earlier about the problem I'm having with the gap between the hood and the side panels on my 37. I've noticed that where the hood meets the top of the grill touch to soon. Is there any way to rack the grill down in the front to close the gap along the sides of the hood? I'm enclosing pictures.

supereal    -- 05-03-2012 @ 10:08 AM
  When we install sheet metal, we don't tighten any fasteners completely until the clearances are acceptable. This allows some shifting.

37 Coupe    -- 05-04-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  You do not show how it looks at the cowl but if this is the worst part of the gap it may be worse case scenario and sprung. Usually the gap like this is on drivers side from years of force being applied to close hood on a set open hood prop,improperly. This was the first year for a Ford hood of this type,alligator, and it took Ford a couple years to get it right,namely the 39 Deluxe. It probably needs tweaked around,you can try if you believe the rear gap is correct by putting a shimming piece like a block of wood or something on opposite side. This definitely is an area to do before finish painting

TomO    -- 05-04-2012 @ 7:54 AM
  To make it easier to follow a discussion, it is better to add to one post than to start another on the same topic. Just click on the REPLY box and add your new information.

I would do as Supereal said in answer to your other post.

Align the hood to the cowl and make sure that it is not warped. Make sure that the grill is not warped. You can check this by measuring from the frame to the top of the grill and to the bottom of the hood. If either of them is warped, you will have to correct this before proceeding. If the hood measurements are off, you can try correcting them by loosening the hinge bolts and raising the driver's side lightly while lowering the passengers side.

Loosen all of the fender, inner fender and grill bolts and try to align the grill and fenders with the hood. Make small adjustments of raising the front of the passenger side fenders and lowering the driver's side fenders. Tighten the bolts slightly and recheck the alignment. You may have to elongate some of the holes to get more adjustment. When you have the bolts snug and the adjustment is correct , tighten the bolts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4625