Topic: Originality

wrosenkrans    -- 05-03-2012 @ 6:20 AM
  We have a 1942 Tudor Sedan which is a previous Rouge award winner for exterior and interior many years ago. I recently did some work on the car including a complete rewiring with turn signals largely because the original harness was really getting brittle and I was becoming worried about a short and fire. I used original type wiring, proper colors and ran the wires as the original had been run. I also replaced the generator which was getting a little squirly. One thing led to another, and I ended up replacing all the chassis bushings and a front shock. Lastly I cleaned a massive amount of crud off the chassis and wheel wells and applied some satin black to the exposed metal. I've carefully reviewed the judging standards for the Rouge award and don't think I've compromised the originality for a drive-train award, but I was a bit concerned about the admonition against changing too much of the wiring harness and only doing as much as was necessary. We did the whole harness, which I thought was necessary for safety (it also looks much better). Turn signals appear to be an allowed safety item. What about the paint in the wheel wells?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

trjford8    -- 05-03-2012 @ 8:07 AM
  I know there has been some changes to the Rouge rules regarding wiring. If the harness was bad then you should not be "dinged" for changing the entire harness. In my opinion if part of the old harness was bad and a safety issue,I supect the rest is soon to be in the same condition. I'm not sure why the rule states "replacement of the entire hareness is discouraged". I once owned a Rouge car and the under dash harness looked very good until you touched it. The old cloth was brittle and the rubber insulation under the cloth was cracked and brittle. Once this happens the wire corrodes and sets up a lot of resistance. Resistance causes heat and eventually a fire. Installing a new harness is just good insurance in my book.
The chassis bushings and a shock would be safety and maintenance issues. If you look at page 33 of the roster you will see what is allowed. If the inner fender panels are part of the body then 90% of the body must be original. Painting the inner panels is probably less than 10%.
I want to stress that if I was judging the Rouge class this would be my opinion.

wrosenkrans    -- 05-05-2012 @ 5:03 PM
  Thanks very much for the reply Trjford8. I'm not sure I'll ever enter the car in Rouge judging, but I do feel a responsibility to protect the originality of the car as much as possible

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

nelsb01    -- 05-06-2012 @ 9:43 PM
  You have nothing to lose by entering the Rouge Class once again. It will either be determined that it qualifies in one of the sections, or it does not. Since you have won previously in multiple sections, you can still qualify in the interior section. Besides, it sounds like you enjoy the vehicle too much to not put it out there for others to view.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4623