Topic: replacement radiator for original radiator

bobs36    -- 04-30-2012 @ 2:33 PM
  what is a good source for a replacement radiator for my stock radiator? or is there a person who can rework the one i have?, thanks for any information

ford38v8    -- 04-30-2012 @ 3:36 PM
  Bob, if your radiator core looks decent, it can usually be rodded out to remove the accumulated lime deposits inside. This operation sometimes can cause a leak in one or two tubes, but those leaks can be readily blocked off like any other leak. The thing is, these days it's getting harder to find an old fashioned radiator shop that actually repairs radiators. Shop around in your vicinity for that.

A new core for your old tanks is also a service performed by an older radiator shop. This is better, in my opinion, than a new repop radiator, which are way too expensive.

With your rebuilt radiator, you'll want to use a 4lb pressure cap. In order to do this, you'll need to have the shop fabricate an inner support brace for the top tank to prevent the wide flat top area from oil-canning, which damages the soldered seams. A '36 radiator reworked in this way is as good as it gets.

No matter which way you decide to go, avoid aluminum like the plague. Copper and brass is more expensive, but cools better and lasts longer.

Alan

supereal    -- 04-30-2012 @ 3:37 PM
  The only source we use is Walker Radiator. They have a website. Original type radiators must be special ordered, as those in stock are made with single outlets and inlets for the street rodders. Waiting time is at least 6-8 weeks, on average. It has been some time since we bought one, but then they were over $600.

Old Henry    -- 04-30-2012 @ 10:09 PM
  My original radiator after sitting 31 years was so leaky the radiator shop said they couldn't repair it but "recored" it by removing the top and bottom and putting them on a new core. Looks original but is better than new. I think it was about $300.00. Cheaper than a new one but just as good.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

bobs36    -- 05-01-2012 @ 11:14 AM
  thanks for all the very good information, bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4614