Topic: 48 gas line

shogun1940    -- 04-28-2012 @ 7:49 AM
  I am puting new gas line on 48 coupe, that I should not have bought, someone had 5/16 rubber hose running all the way. I took out 1/4" steel. Is that the right size and what type of fitting goes into the tank. They had 5/16 steel with a ferrel at the end. That does not seam right . Was it a double flare or one of those fittings that compress with out a ferrel?? I s1/4" the right size?? How does it go acroos the firewall to the pump/ pictures would be great

supereal    -- 04-28-2012 @ 11:15 AM
  The original gas line from the tank to the flex line at the firewall was quarter inch copper coated steel. We are seeing rust problems with old lines, likely accelerated by the ethanol additive. Sometimes we see a replacement using rubber hose or 5/16 steel because the engine was being starved by a partially plugged line. My own '47 had a mostly plugged line. Rubber hose is commonly used to install inline fuel filters, but must be special fuel proof rubber. Any time you put rubber hose into the system, it requires fittings called "hose barbs" to prevent fuel and air leakage, as well as worn gear clamps, not the common spring clamps upplied with filters, etc. The line comes up on the firewall where there should be a special clip to hold it in place. It connects with a flexible hose that permits movement of the engine, and feeds the fuel pump. From the pump, another copper coated line reaches the carb. While the coating makes it look like copper tubing, copper should never be used as a fuel line because it is subject to cracking from vibration that can cause a fire hazard. Always use ferrule type seals, not flares, single or double. A new fuel line, complete with fittings is available from vendors such as C&G for less than twenty bucks. Why fool around with a "home brew" replacement?

shogun1940    -- 04-30-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  thanks I will see if i can get the line from cg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4604