Topic: 1940 Ford Coupe, Removing door hinge pin?

bwhitworth    -- 04-25-2012 @ 4:34 PM
  I want install hinge mounted rear view mirrows on my coupe. I am having trouble getting the hinge pin out. I purchased a special "C" pin pusher tool but it is not working. The mushroomed end of the hinge pin is larger in diameter then the hole in the tool. I soaked the hinge with WD40 to losen it, for over a week, to avail.
I have tried hitting the small end of rhe pin with a center punch but, can't get a hard lick on it. also is close to the door's sheet metal painted surface.
I am open to suggestions on how to get the pin out

ford38v8    -- 04-25-2012 @ 5:10 PM
  The pin removers are cute. Nice if they'd work, but lottsa luck on that. I even made a heavy duty press from a large C clamp to no avail.
The use of a hammer can sometimes work if care is taken to back up the blow properly, one, to prevent damage to the hinge, and two, to provide the backing to do the job. Be sure the driven end is not mushroomed.
I finally drilled it out, carefully graduating up in bit size until large enough for the pin to move. This method is critical, as you need a perfectly centered drill.

Alan

40guy    -- 04-25-2012 @ 6:18 PM
  I would remove the door, hinges and all and put it on a quilt on a work bench for better access.

supereal    -- 04-26-2012 @ 9:53 AM
  I agree with Alan. Removing hinge pins is among the most frustrating jobs on an old car. They have a knurled portion of the shank that causes them to rust into place as if they were welded. When faced with the job, we first support the outer edge of the door to relieve the load on the pins. Most pins are worn enough to effectively lock them in place, as well. We then use an air chisel with a sharp point to try to push them out. If that doesn't do it, drilling is next. Due to the closeness of the pins to the door surface, it is necessary to protect the finish in order to gain access to the pin. Even with great care, the hole left is likely to be too large to hold a stock pin, and a replacement must be made. Unless the pin is so worn the door sags enough to prevent easy latching, I'd leave them alone.

51f1    -- 04-26-2012 @ 10:37 AM
  I beat, drilled, used heat and any other thing I could think of to get the pins out. Fortunately, I was restoring my truck. I agree that the pin removers are pretty, but they don't work. The contour of the door didn't allow me to line it up with the pin. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. Probably real penetrating oil won't help either. It's just going to be tough to get the pin out w/o damaging the door.

Good luck.

Richard

mikecnc    -- 04-26-2012 @ 11:41 AM
  I also bought and tried the C Clamp tool without any sucess on my restored 35 Deluxe Tudor Sedan. Soaked the pins with PB Blaster, tried to punch out pins without damaging the paint on door and hinges and nothing worked. Finally, I enlisted the help of a fellow club member. We removed the doors and hinges from the body, set the doors on saw horses and drilled out the pins and enlaged the holes in the hinges and re-installed with oversize hinge pins which are available from several of the vendors. Be sure to something heavy to protect the painted surface of the door. After re-installing the doors, then the new pins can be easily removed and the mirrors installed.

tudorbilll    -- 04-28-2012 @ 12:38 AM
  I had great luck useing a 3/8 air chisel with a point losend the pin so fast I couldnt beleave it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4597