Topic: 6 Volt to 12 Volt Conversion

carcrazy    -- 04-24-2012 @ 10:58 AM
  I want to convert a Ford V8-60 engine from 6V to 12V electrical system to achieve the following goals:
1) Electrical system charges at an idle speed of 400 to 500 RPM with a stock crank pulley of 4.32" diameter
2) Shut off of engine using original (non-accessory position) ignition switch
3) Reliability for use on a daily driver that is taken on long highway trips
4) The appearance of a stock later model Ford alternator is OK
My questions are:
1) Does anyone make a bracket to mount a stock Ford alternator to a 1937 Ford V8-60 engine in the same location where the generator previously was mounted?
2) What diameter alternator pulley should be used?
3) Does anyone make a pulley of this diameter to accept the 5/8" wide standard belt (no provision for mounting a fan is required as an electric cooling fan will be used)?
Any information on converting from 6V to 12V systems will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

supereal    -- 04-24-2012 @ 2:58 PM
  I have converted several vehicles to a 12 volt alternator system, but my own are still six volts. Almost all conversions are due to an effort to eliminate problems such as hard or slow starting, dim lights, etc. If a six volt system is in good condition, conversion is a waste of time and money, in my opinion. After all, Ford successfully used the six volt system until the mid 1950's.

oldford2    -- 04-24-2012 @ 3:40 PM
  I agree with Bob (supereal). The money and all the changes required to convert do not justify the end result. Why are you concerned about charging at idle? Do you idle a lot? Reliability? Then you will want to go to electronic ignition. Now the fun really begins. Reliability???

Keep things simple. John

TomO    -- 04-25-2012 @ 8:17 AM
  If you want reliability, stay with the stock Ford setup. Any changes that you make from stock make problems harder to diagnose and more likely to happen. Electronic ignitions are a good example of adding complexity while reducing reliability.

To answer some of your questions, I do not know of any alternator made for a 60 HP engine. You will need a small pulley to achieve your goal of providing charging current at 550 rpm. If you find one, your car may not charge at that rpm.

The 60 HP cars were under-powered and any modification tends to make them less drivable. IMHO you are much better off leaving the car stock and enjoying it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-25-12 @ 8:25 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4595