Topic: 47 ford rear hubs

monarch 1    -- 04-21-2012 @ 4:49 PM
  I have too different rear hubs for a 47 ford? Both mount to the outside of the drum. THe drums are the same as are the bearings but the seals are different. 1 hub measures 3 1/4' across the outside brg. surface. The other is 3 1/2". Did they make too different outside hubs and can either be used. They both seem to fit but i want to change the drums to new. Thanks

supereal    -- 04-23-2012 @ 10:39 AM
  The rear hubs are the same from 40-48, as is the grease seal outer and inner diameter. There were two grease seals used over the years, 2.78" OD and 3.19" OD. The larger size were used 28-38, then were changed sometime in 38 to the smaller type, the 78-1175. I'm not sure where you are measuring, but the important place is where the seal fits. You say the bearings are the same, so the seals should be, too. The bearings changed OD when the seals changed, so the seals must match the bearings, in any case. Two different drums were used 40-48, the 21A and the 51A, so be sure to know which you need.

monarch 1    -- 04-25-2012 @ 7:52 AM
  on closer inspection of these hubs the drums are the same as 47 the bearing is the same. they take the larger seal and snap ring. the hubs seem to have a permament race so the bearing fits. Could these be a earlier or later production date. Has anybody seen these hubs. They appear to be interchangable. I found an ford parts book that lists these seals and rings for a 46 to 48 but no mention of the hubs. Thanks

supereal    -- 04-25-2012 @ 9:50 AM
  The hubs have no bearing race, as such. They, like the rear axle housing, can be subject to spalling (excessive wear) if the correct grease is not used. The Hyatt-type roller bearings require a fibrous grease that is pulled into, and around, the rollers as the hub turns. The best type is Sta-Lube Heavy Duty Drum Brake grease, available at NAPA, in most places. If you require new hubs, C&G (800/266-0470) lists them. You can see these parts at www.cgfordparts.com

monarch 1    -- 04-26-2012 @ 5:19 PM
  I wonder if these are early hubs with newer drums. I'm not sure what the earlier hubs (38) look like but these hubs do have a race in them and take the early large seal and the later bearing. I have a damaged hub that was on the 47 and they look the same except for the larger dia. at the seal. Thanks

Stroker    -- 04-26-2012 @ 6:44 PM
  The earlier hubs (36,37,38 & 39) have the drum and hub cast as one, and use the "wide-five" bolt pattern for the wheels.

This message was edited by Stroker on 4-26-12 @ 6:46 PM

supereal    -- 04-28-2012 @ 11:25 AM
  I'd replace the odd hub with a new one. I'm not sure how you have a hub larger than the standard without the large bolt circle pattern. It may be from a truck. The axle housing is a very expensive part to replace, and I wouldn't chance damage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4584