Topic: peep mirror

fordmerc    -- 04-09-2012 @ 8:40 AM
  I want outside RV mirror for safety (both sides) I prefer "peep". Which is better: curved or straight arm? Top or front of door mount? I presume 4" better than 3" dia.(?)

doning    -- 04-09-2012 @ 9:06 AM
  There are many options out there. It all depends on what you think will look good on your car.

nelsb01    -- 04-09-2012 @ 9:51 AM
  Keep looking. In 1949 there was an accessory mirror that was a peep mirror. You see them as used mirrors at swap meets. I mounted mine on the top of the door, but the 1949 Accessories catalog shows it mounted were the base of the vent window is.
It does have a curved arm and the mirror is 4 inches.
It will fit any door frame that has a lip where the door seal goes.

Old Henry    -- 04-09-2012 @ 10:04 AM
  I don't know what year your car is but on my '47 Fordor the only mirror I can see on the passenger side of the car is this 4" convex (wide angle) peep mirror. I put one on both sides. Really gives a nice wide angle view on the driver's side. Available here: http://www.classychevusa.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=883/prd883.htm

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 4-9-12 @ 12:13 PM

1934 Ford    -- 04-09-2012 @ 5:36 PM
  My 34's have the curved arm round peep mirrors with a 4" convex mirror clued on he one on the right side.
Not the best for view, but they do show there is something out there to watch out for.
When I get old and get a stiff neck, I'll probably have to get bigger mirrors.

supereal    -- 04-10-2012 @ 8:20 AM
  The "swan neck" outside mirrors that are sold as genuine accessories are not visable on the right side of the pre '49 Fords from the driver's seat. Most of us put them on just to provide balance. The "peep" mirrors that mount on the top of the door work well, but are usually too small to be much help on the passenger side. I can't use them on my '47, as it is a convertible. With the top up, visibility is very limited, in any case, making driving in traffic a real challenge. I stick small convex wide angle mirrors on all my vehicles as a safety measure.

Old Henry    -- 04-10-2012 @ 10:06 AM
  Here's an innovative solution to seeing in the blind spot on the right side using my sun visor mirror. I just kinda stumbled on it. I don't drive with the visor down but, when I need to move to the right lane, I flip it down for a moment to check my blind spot then back up. You can also see in the photo what the convex peep mirror shows on that side - not much. It mostly shows a car a bit further back. When I see a car in that mirror I know it's far enough back to pull in front of it.
In my post that follows this one I show the same car that's in the mirrors mostly hidden by the car body between the quarter window and rear window.

Old Henry    -- 04-10-2012 @ 10:07 AM
  Here's all I could see of my blind spot if I could actually turn my head that far to the right (arthritis in my neck, etc.)

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 04-10-2012 @ 10:24 AM
  This is what I see in the peep mirror when the car to my right is far enough back to pull in front of.

Old Henry

fordmerc    -- 04-10-2012 @ 11:23 AM
  The visor mirror trick is ingenious!.
Based on comments, a convex mirror on both sides mounted on the curved arm seems to be the best solution available despite limitations. (No one seems to have praised the straight arm mirrors)
(My goal is safety since the car runs fine without the mirrors!)

This message was edited by fordmerc on 4-10-12 @ 11:25 AM

Old Henry    -- 04-10-2012 @ 1:11 PM
  Need a big clip on mirror slid all the way to the left end of the visor.

Old Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4543