Topic: 2.5 lb Fire extinquiser in judging

bobs36    -- 12-16-2009 @ 12:03 PM
  is there a particular type or brand name of fire extinquiser that is used in judging etc, thanks, bob

ford38v8    -- 12-16-2009 @ 2:42 PM
  Bob, Type ABC with a minimum capacity of 2.5 pounds is the required extinguisher on the Concourse. It is placed on the ground in front of the left front wheel, with the pressure gauge visible. They are available at most hardware stores, Wallmarts, and at recent meets, the Early Ford Foundation has offered them for sale as a fund raiser for the Foundation.

It is important to note that in case of fire on one of our cars, discretion must be used before jumping the gun with an extinguisher, as the residue from the extinguisher can in some cases be more harmful to a car than the fire. Some guys carry an extra extinguisher containing an oxygen displacer gas, which is harmless to a car, but much less effective, and is NOT rated for type A fires, therefore not acceptable on the Concourse.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 12-16-09 @ 2:43 PM

v8teditor    -- 12-16-2009 @ 3:32 PM
  At several National Meets, the Early Ford V-8 Foundation has purchased fire extinguishers at a nearby Home Depot ($9.95) and, with the blessing of the judges, and resold (donation) these to members who either did not have one or the one they had was no longer any good. These will meet the requirements.

tierod    -- 12-16-2009 @ 4:00 PM
  FIRE EXTINGUISHERS SHOULD NOT BE LAID DOWN AS THAT POSITION ALLOWS THE POWDER TO SOLIDIFY RENDERING THE EXTINGUISHER USELESS. BEST TO STAND THEM UPRIGHT WHILE STORED AND WHEN DISPLAYED AT A SHOW. AN EVIDENTLY LITTLE KNOWN OR IGNORED FACT.

bobs36    -- 12-16-2009 @ 4:18 PM
  thank you for all the information, bob

42ford    -- 12-16-2009 @ 4:20 PM
  Interesting Then why is the bottom of a lot of round which keeps them from standing upright? Just wondering

Chevguy49Ford    -- 12-16-2009 @ 5:06 PM
  The ones with the round bottoms are meant to be hung in a bracket. Our fire inspector at the store told me they should always be upright. He also said that you should turn them upside down once a month or so and rap on the bottom with a rubber mallet to keep the powder from getting solid on the bottom.

I was wondering, as I noticed from the pictures in The V-8 Times, why the extinguishers are laid under the LF wheel? Is it just for ease of finding them so they are all in the same place?

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

trjford8    -- 12-16-2009 @ 7:03 PM
  I'm not sure where that rule came from, but I can tell you that a lot of those extinguishers have tire tracks on them! I'm sure the rule came about to standardize the location for the extinguisher while the car is on the concours. If the owner is away from the car and suddenly a fire starts in the vehicle anyone would be able to locate the extinguisher and put out the fire.

42wagon    -- 12-17-2009 @ 4:02 AM
  After reading the various comments I wonder about a couple of things.

Has there ever been a case of a fire on the concourse?

How many persons on the concourse have ever been given any instruction on how to use a fire extinguisher?

Does anyone realize how much damage an ABC rated fire extinguisher will do to a car if it is actually used?

Does anyone know how much good a $9.95 fire extinguisher will actually do?

The point being that we should be vigilant about the potential source of fire. For an oil or electrical fire we should be using a BC rated fire extinguisher that will not damage the car. Also no one that has not been trained in the use of a fire extinguisher should attempt to put out a fire with one.

Ted

39 Ken    -- 12-17-2009 @ 5:53 AM
  I have seen the fire extinguisher get kicked on the end with the gauge and the trigger mechanism, with the resulting actuation of the extinguisher. I place it under the left front tire with gauge and trigger to the inside of the car to avoid this happening again. Just my way of doing things. Ken

trjford8    -- 12-17-2009 @ 8:06 AM
  Ted and Ken, you both bring up some very good points. A little training on the use and placement of extinguishers might be a good idea at the judges/owners meetings at national meets. You might send your comments to National Director John McBurney who is also a deputy judge. His address is listed in the club roster.

Pauls39    -- 12-17-2009 @ 8:30 PM
  There was a fire at the 2003 GN. After the judging was over some fellows were trying to start a 46-48 Merc Convertable by dumping a coffee can of gas down the carb. The engine backfired and ignited a #10 can of gas which was then thrown into the middle of the isle. As we ran toward the fire I noticed all the extinguishers had been put away. Luckly the car was not damaged, we managed to beat the flames out on the ground before it spread. Unfortunately the fellow holding the can sustained some burns on his arms.
Our guys at the GN Operational Check bring a couple of big Co2 units to control problems in that area.
I would like to see guys mount their extinguishers where they could be put to use quickly. They don't do much good in a box under your spair tire.

one50ford    -- 12-22-2009 @ 4:07 PM
  Been a few years since I was in the extinguisher business, but the types of fires remain the same. "A" are cumbustibles like paper, wood, etc. "B" are flamable liquids like gas, oil. "C" is electrical. "D" is metal fires, like magnesium. A dry chemical is a bitch to clean up and you would want to get it off your paint as soon as possible. Co2 works on B and C fires and leaves no residue, though it may freeze a component and make it brittle. Halon was legal for a while and was the best for B and C fires, but caused serious envirmental damage. Not sure if they have developed a good substitute. All high end computer labs were protected by halon systems as it caused the least damage. Not good to breath any of these chemicals, though halon would be worst. Also, a 2-1/2 pound ABC is fine for a very little fire under the hood or dash. A 5 pound extinguisher would be better. I carry a 5 pound halon.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=454