Topic: Exhaust Pipe

daoust    -- 04-05-2012 @ 2:12 PM
  Guys: Please see attached photos. As point of reference this is part 21A-5246. This is the exhaust pipe that would attch to the right side and recieve the cross-over pipe from the left side. I got this new pipe from one of the big-box suppliers. What concerns me (aside from the sloppy welding)is the size of the hole into the main exhaust. It's obviously a much smaller diameter than the connecting pipe. Could that issue cause excess back pressure on the one side?

When I called the parts people they told me that these exhaust parts are only made by one manufacturer that all the parts distributors use and they all look like that....in others words...tough luck. Could this be correct?

Any advice?

David Daoust

rg130    -- 04-05-2012 @ 3:43 PM
  The hole in the exhaust pipe is smaller than the connecting pipe. The reason is to create back presser and cause the excess exhaust to use the cross over port under the carburetor to preheat the fuel going into the cylinders. Later on they started using heat risers on the left exhaust pipe to force the excess exhaust under the carburetor port. After the engine heated up the heat riser would open unlike the earlier models that kept hot exhaust going under the carburetor.

supereal    -- 04-05-2012 @ 4:17 PM
  We have all exhaust pipes made on site by a good local muffler shop, usually in stainless steel. Many of the mail order places offer less than ideal pieces. That is an interesting explanation regarding the back pressure that I hadn't heard before. We used to block off the exhaust passages under the carb with pennies to give the exhaust a different tone. With today's fuel, the exhaust passages in the intake manifold are excess baggage, and may actually increase the vaporization of the fuel, causing hot starting problems. The exhaust valves, either the thermostatic lever type, or the "duck bills" were a constant source of problems.

rg130    -- 04-05-2012 @ 4:23 PM
  Should have mentioned if your car came with a heat riser, or your going to use one, you could enlarge the small hole to the size of the connecting pipe. Lot of people enlarge it any way. Depends where you live, cold climate vs warm climate. Hopes this helps.

TomO    -- 04-06-2012 @ 8:37 AM
  I doubt that all of the exhaust pipe suppliers use the same manufacturer. Red's advertises that they make their own, Kepich is another that advertises that they make their own an as Supereal said many local muffler shops will make the pipe for you.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4531