Topic: Paint Questions

joe b    -- 04-05-2012 @ 6:33 AM
  On a '41, are the inside of the fenders painted body color?
Was the engine painted after assembly? In other words is the top of the block that can be seen between the intake manifold and heads painted or not?

TomO    -- 04-05-2012 @ 7:26 AM
  Joe, the underside of the fenders were painted body color.

I do not know if the 41 block had the area between the heads and Intake painted. The 41 block is different from the pre-41 and the postwar blocks in that the intake manifold sits on a raised surface.

The blocks with the complete surface machined were not painted in this area.

Tom

joe b    -- 04-05-2012 @ 7:31 AM
  Thanks Tom. I kind of figured the fenders were painted this way.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 04-05-2012 @ 12:37 PM
  The surface on top of the block between the intake manifold and the heads were not painted. The block, heads, and intake manifold were all painted separately before being assembled.

Stroker    -- 04-05-2012 @ 5:42 PM
  I'm not sure about the later Fords, but in the 30's, Ford would "dip" the fenders, rather than spray them. Of course that would coat the undersides "body color".

51f1    -- 04-06-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  Generally, blocks are painted before they are machined.

Richard

TomO    -- 04-06-2012 @ 8:29 AM
  I am not sure that the casting between the heads was painted on the 41 cars, but my experience tells me that it is not logical to mask that area.

I have heard the Ford machined the blocks before painting and masked the machined surfaces and that the blocks were painted before machining. During one of my high school summers, I worked at a Allis Chalmers factory in the paint shop. We painted all of the castings before they were machined and touched up the assemblies before shipping.

I find it hard to believe that Ford would have used a different procedure as production costs would have increased by masking the machined surfaces.

The 41 block has rough casting between the heads and only the Intake surface is machined, so I doubt if the casting was left unpainted. The only original 41 engine that I have inspected was in a 41 Mercury coupe. It was a very low mileage car with the castings painted blue , including the area between the heads.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4528