Topic: rear spring covers

Wolfie    -- 04-04-2012 @ 8:53 PM
  I plan on replacing the springs on my car and was wondering what the rear spring covers are for? Do you buy springs that already have the covers? Thanks!

42wagon    -- 04-05-2012 @ 3:28 AM
  Wolfie
The spring covers are one of Henry's "better ideas" that really aren't very good. The intention was to protect the springs from the grit kicked up on the gravel roads of the era. In practice they trapped grit, and made it difficult to properly lubricate the springs. Unless you are going for a Dearborn award I would forget them.

That said I am unaware of any place you can buy springs with then already installed except maybe a used parts swap meet. There have been other inquiries on this site and names of people who will make you spring covers. See if you can look back over the last couple of months for the discussions.
Ted

kubes40    -- 04-05-2012 @ 6:09 AM
  Dan Schwartz in California makes beautiful covers. I install them. It does require special fixtures to do so...
Mike Kubarth

Old Henry    -- 04-05-2012 @ 8:13 AM
  This is what the Passenger Car Sales Handbook says about them:

"Super De Luxe chassis springs are fitted with fabric lined metal covers that keep the lubricant in and prevent the entrance of road dirt and water. These have pressure lubrication fittings which complete the duplex spring lubrication."

Of additional interest may be the description of the "Duplex Spring Lubrication":

"Ford spring design makes provision for duplex spring lubrication to secure unvarying spring action and uniform riding ease under all temperature conditions.
Springs are lubricated internally through a channel at the spring center bolt by means of a pressure fitting. Lubricant is evenly distributed throughout the length of the spring by center grooves in the spring leaves. This reduces interleaf friction to a minimun for flexible spring action and shock absorption. In addition, spring leaf ends have a French taper which further promotes smooth, quite action."

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 4-5-12 @ 8:19 AM

Wolfie    -- 04-05-2012 @ 7:59 PM
  Thanks for the responses. Who are the suppliers of the stock springs?

kubes40    -- 04-06-2012 @ 5:41 AM
  I've had the best luck with Carpenter. New old stock are getting tough to find but are in my opinion the ONLY way to go. Worth the hunt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4525