Topic: 39 Standard correct items

David Bentley    -- 04-03-2012 @ 8:09 AM
  I am new to this, but I need some help in Knowing Where to buy the "true , correct " parts. I want these to be as period correct as possible. 1: Who is the best source to buy a new Ford Script Battery ( I have seen a couple of different of these ) & is the Oval supposed to be painted Gold & if so, who has the best paint for this ?
2:Who sells the correct gas tank cap ?
3: Who sells the Correct , Black or Blue base, spark plugs as explained in the V8 Ford '39 book ?

This message was edited by David Bentley on 4-3-12 @ 1:51 PM

TomO    -- 04-04-2012 @ 7:10 AM
  The Ford script batteries being sold today are licensed reproductions, so the cases are for practical purposes identical.

I have never painted one, but I believe that the One Shot striping paint would be the best.

The spark plugs are not reproduced. The correct plugs for a 39 would be Champion or Ford H10 with 2 ribs and a black base. Good one are like hens teeth, used ones can be found.

I have not judged for many years now, but when I did judge, I allowed the Autolite 216 plugs to pass. I don't believe that that is the current process.

Tom

kubes40    -- 04-04-2012 @ 7:17 AM
  Hi David, I have restored one '39 standard coupe that twice scored 999 points. I am currently restoring yet another. That being said only so you may feel a bit more confidence in my advice.
You will be unable to get a perfect reproduction battery for your car. the very closet to authentic may be purchased from Antique Auto Battery in Ohio. Be forewarned though... that have sent me (three different cars) the wrong battery the first time. They replaced each and every one at their expense but apparent do not grasp the correct post orientation for the standard.
The oval should be painted gold. I use Testers, available at any decent hobby shop.

The correct gas caps are difficult to find. I'd suggest watching eBay but be careful, ALL current reproductions are of poor quality.
An authentic locking cap for a '39 is about impossible to find. I have possessed one in the past 40 years. What is advertised by the repop dealers as correct is far from the reality of it.

Authentic, two rib "coke bottle" plugs are another item that is nearly impossible to locate. If and when you do, expect to pay $50 each for NOS or factory reconditioned.
Recently I was fortunate enough to locate and purchase 24 of these. I am always on the lookout for more.

TomO    -- 04-04-2012 @ 7:38 AM
  Kube has more experience in what is correct for your 39 and I suggest that you follow his superior advice.

Tom

kubes40    -- 04-04-2012 @ 10:22 AM
  TomO, If my advice is "superior" why do I learn from you?

Mike

David Bentley    -- 04-04-2012 @ 1:29 PM
  Thanks. I really appreciate you both taking the time to answer these questions.. I hope to make it to Hiawassee this year..

kubes40    -- 04-04-2012 @ 6:18 PM
  David,
Looks like a very beautiful car.
I doubt I'll make it to the Georgia Meet. I am attempting to complete a 39 convertible for Branson and the 39 coupe... hopefully that'll be done too. Lot's remaining to do.

Question for you:
What color did you paint the recessed area surrounding the V8 on the hood ornament? Nearly all guys paint that "Ford Blue".
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 04-04-2012 @ 7:09 PM
  David, with regard to the painting the oval on your battery, Mike's advice to use Testors Gold is good, and I'll add one thing: Hobby shops that carry the Testors usually also carry small ink rollers. Use this type of rubber roller to apply the gold to the oval. Don't try to use a brush or use masking of any kind, it's a very simple and quick job that produces perfect results.

Alan

David Bentley    -- 04-05-2012 @ 5:21 AM
  Mike,
On this particular car, it is Blue, same as the V8 on the Hubcaps & 85 clip on the front. It was that way when we got the car ( original ) back in 1975.
I have owned another Original car , Identical to this one, that had this area painted in Black . So, this tells me that they came both ways. What is your take ?

David Bentley    -- 04-05-2012 @ 5:23 AM
  Alan,
Thanks for the tip. I think you have a very good idea here that I will implement. I appreciate the advice.

kubes40    -- 04-05-2012 @ 6:08 AM
  Delivered from the factory, the hood ornament back ground was body color. Service parts were "Ford blue".
If you're getting the car judged, you may want to change yours...

TomO    -- 04-05-2012 @ 7:46 AM
  Mike, in answer to your question, your advice on this question is superior, because mine was inferior. I did not have the information on the gas cap, and assumed that all of the current reproduction cases are identical.

I have learned a lot form you and all of the other members that regularly post on this forum.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4519