Topic: Interior Windshield trim

daoust    -- 04-03-2012 @ 5:35 AM
  Looking for some help. I took the interior windshield trim out of my 47 convertible to woodgrain it. Behind the two "U" shaped pieces that need woodgraining are two separate pieces - some sort of seal I assume that looks to be sewn fabric or vinyl with a bead of stainless steel that divides the interior garnish moulding from the interior window frame. I have attached a photo of what I'm taklking about.

My question is this. What are these pieces called and can I buy replacements? If so from where? I think I could re-use them but the cloth-like material seems a bit dried-out and stiff.

Any suggestions?

David Daoust

TomO    -- 04-03-2012 @ 8:41 AM
  They are called "Welt (windshield finish strip) assy"

The P/N s 51A-7603126 and 127.

I don't know anyone who is reproducing this. Lebaron Bonney sells a vinyl welting that is chrome, but I don't think that it would be a good substitute for the original.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-03-2012 @ 9:41 AM
  It is rare to find the stainless steel inside windshield moulding still on a convertible today. I was lucky, and my '47 has it. I don't know of any reproductions. The original is actually metal crimped onto a fabric web. The closest substitute is the LeBaron Bonney vinyl chrome welt with the small, 5/32, core. Most welt has a 1/4 inch core, and is too large. The smaller core welt is a bit larger than the original, but a good substitute. The part number is US141C, selling in 30 foot rolls. The L-B phone is 800/221-5408. They can tell you is it is still stocked.

daoust    -- 04-03-2012 @ 10:14 AM
  Here's is a blow-up of the piece I'm talking about as viewed from the inside. Looks like stainless to me. not chrome.

David Daoust

42wagon    -- 04-03-2012 @ 2:41 PM
  According to the 41-48 Ford book the pieces you are referring to are called welt trim. In the 46-48 cars the metal welt was used in the Station Wagons, Convertibles, and Sportsmen. Like most of the metal trim Ford used it is stainless steel.

daoust    -- 04-04-2012 @ 5:55 AM
  Sounds like I'd better take good care of what I've got! I scrubbed the internet last night and couldn't find anything anywhere.

Thanks to all.

David Daoust

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4518