Topic: help me with steering box resistance

bgalla    -- 03-31-2012 @ 8:50 PM
  The steering box is out of my 36 restoration. I had to replace a destroyed gasket under the eccentric cover. I have reassembled it all and the adjustments seem to be correct. Half way through the steering wheel travel I get two distinct areas of firm, increased resistance while turning the wheel. On either side and in the middle it turns freely. Any help would be appreciated. Bruce

kubes40    -- 04-01-2012 @ 6:40 AM
  Hi Bruce,
A couple of questions: Did you disassemble the entire steering gear? And, did the gear work well before you worked on it?
From your question I will assume you simply removed the upper plate and the gear worked okay prior to this procedure.
IF that is in fact the case, it appears you need to readjust the eccentric.
You MUST be certain the steering wheel is in the absolute center. Never mind the orientation of the wheel. Count the turns lock to lock and find that center.
Front wheels are best off the ground.
Now, readjust the steering gear. Not having done this before, it may take you more than one try to get the proper "feel'. Don't be discouraged... you'll get it.
It is best to make the adjustment a bit on the "light" side. One can always revisit the adjustment later and tighten it a bit more if so desired.
At this point it sounds as if you did not have the wheel at center and / or your adjustment is too tight.

40 Coupe    -- 04-01-2012 @ 8:48 AM
  On several years the center point of adjustment is not the center from lock to lock. The instructions point to the location as when the key for the steering wheel is in line with the filler plug as the adjustment point. The adjustment has to be done at this location, which may be 1/2 turn off from the center of full travel. If this doesn't fix the problem then you may have additional problems, and it is time for a complete disassembly. If you have to disassemble save all the gaskets (for reference)that are part of the worm shaft end play adjustment.

bgalla    -- 04-01-2012 @ 9:01 AM
  The steering gear and column are out of the car. Yes I had the whole thing apart to change the gasket. All the parts, worm, bearings,sector, etc. are fine. I was trying to do everthing out of the car. It seemed it might be easier. Maybe I should wait and do it when I reassemble it in the car. I just didn't want to take it out again if something might be wrong. Yes, it seemed to work fine in the past, just leaked like a sieve B

kubes40    -- 04-01-2012 @ 11:32 AM
  It sounds as if you simply placed all the used parts back in the box. That being the case, you are no doubt in good shape.
I'd suggest waiting until the gear is assembled back to the chassis and then adjusting it.
Did you place the same thickness(es) of gaskets at the bottom that you removed?

40 Coupe    -- 04-03-2012 @ 5:05 AM
  I like to do them where you can grab the pitman arm and the steering shaft and see the play with ease, out of the car. Once installed in the frame you have to leave the outer column off and work with the front fender in place or remove the fender.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4511