Topic: GMRS-EXRS Two Way Radios

MG    -- 03-31-2012 @ 1:47 PM
  Any of you used these hand-held push to talk radios while touring in/with a group? How is their probagation/reception inside the car? I don't want to use a cell phone or install a CB radio.

Stroker    -- 03-31-2012 @ 4:44 PM
  When I helped move a daughter from Phoenix back to the midwest a few years ago, I bought a pair so we could stay in touch while traveling w/2 vehicles. I was able to communicate through the metal structure of both vehicles for a distance of about 3-4 miles.
Had very little "cross-talk" until we got to the Rockies, where there were hikers on almost every channel. Much better, would be a pair of CB Walkie's, as these have a greater range, and of course require no vehicle "mods", plus you can always roll the window down a tad and stick the antenna out through the crack.

MG    -- 03-31-2012 @ 5:01 PM
  Stroker,

Good info. I'm concerned about the ignition noise generated by these old cars of ours.

trjford8    -- 03-31-2012 @ 7:32 PM
  MG, I use a portable CB radio. I mounted an antenna off a rear bumper brace and run the cable inside the car. The portable unit gets power through the cigar lighter socket and the antenna wire just plugs into the bottom of the radio. They come with a bracket on the back of the radio and you can hang it from the choke or throttle knob. Great reception. If you are still 6 volt you will need an inverter as they are 12 volt. You can find the radio on e-bay for about $20. Search "all categories" and type in "emergency cb radio". I've bought two in the last 3 months and paid $20 including the shipping.
I have also used the portable hand held units, but the batteries do not last all that long.

MG    -- 04-02-2012 @ 2:00 PM
  trjford8,

I went to eBay as you suggested. $20.00??? What is the brand and model number of the radio you use to get the "great reception" you describe? Does it filter out ignition noise?

trjford8    -- 04-02-2012 @ 7:02 PM
  MG I've not had a problem with ignition static with the portable.I used it in a '40 coupe with an 8BA motor and the stock 8BA ignition.
I've been buying the GE brand portable/emergency radio. Go to e-bay and then do a search in "all categories" for GE cb radio. That should get you several of the GE units. Cobra and Uniden also make them, but they are usually more money.

trjford8    -- 04-02-2012 @ 7:15 PM
  MG, just checked e-bay and there are 4 of the radios on there now for under $15. A couple of the auctions will end in the next day or so and there is one on a "buy it now" for $9.95, but the shipping is $15.The $15 is for expeditied shipping, so it may be less if you are not in a hurry. These radios are also known as "Help" radios.

TomO    -- 04-03-2012 @ 8:46 AM
  MG, do your usual touring partners have any kind of radios that they use now? If so, it is best to use the one that they have.

If you are trying to get everyone to move from cell phone to radio, the handheld CB are usually the best option.

Our RG uses the CB radio on tours for communication and it works out pretty well.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4510