Topic: Transmission

RG/NJ    -- 12-15-2009 @ 2:11 PM
  HI Guys; What year did ford stop putting the grease fittings in the trany for the clutch shaft. My original 40 trany has them. My spare trany does not. Could it be a 46to48?

supereal    -- 12-15-2009 @ 3:19 PM
  There were none for the release shaft of my '47. but I drilled and tapped the housing for a pair, anyway. The shaft I removed was badly worn, and the bushings had long since departed. We find many that way, so we always plan to install fittings when we have a transmission out of the vehicle. If you do install fittings, be sure that the bushings are drilled too, so the grease can make it through.

Stroker    -- 12-15-2009 @ 3:30 PM
  This is a little "off-topic", but I don't like replacing throw-out bearings. Years ago, I discovered that Ford 8N tractors used an identical to early Ford throw-out, EXCEPT there is a
threaded grease port on the top. 8N's used a grease cup and hose assembly to allow greasing the
T/O bearing, just like a 32 Ford. Not a bad idea, judges might not like it, but could save
an inopportune tear-down.

Kahuna    -- 12-15-2009 @ 6:54 PM
  Stroker
Where can those 8N throwout bearings be obtained?
Thanks
Jim

Stroker    -- 12-15-2009 @ 7:33 PM
  Kahuna:

I' haven't messed with 8N's since I left home to join the Navy 49 years ago. I'd guess I would search for an early Ford tractor site. One I just "Googled" is: www.just8ns.com Many rural NAPA stores may also have the part. The T/O bearing is the same as 32-48, just has a threaded port on the top side that you can screw a grease hose into. The other end can be installed in the inspection plate on the transmission bell, and you can either install a grease cup, or Zerk fitting on that end. I'd opt for the grease cup, as you don't want to overdo it. A little goes a long way, and you can't really observe the results. Since many V8'ers, find themselves in parades, clutch "riding" is sort of the norm. I went this route because of the force I had to apply on my 11" Shaeffer racing clutch, which was pretty hard on T/O bearings.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=451