Topic: Judging Question

daoust    -- 03-28-2012 @ 3:23 PM
  Would points be deducted in concourse judging if the clock didn't work? If so, how many points would be deducted? Any insight appreciated.

David Daoust

ford38v8    -- 03-28-2012 @ 5:21 PM
  David, The clock should work to avoid a deduction. The Judge will note the position of the hands when judging begins, and later will note if the hands had remained in the same position. As for the actual point deduction, circumstances are not always identical, so an exact deduction cannot be determined off the judging field. You would be better informed by pulling up the Judging form from the home page, and reading through every item. In this case, consider that the maximum deduction that can be deducted for all instruments including the clock, is 15 points, which would include condition and correctness. You'll see on the forms that every section will have a maximum deduction listed as a guideline to assist the Judge in determining a fair and proper deduction. Judging is not a science, but requires a degree of horse sense and an even hand.

Alan

deluxe40    -- 03-28-2012 @ 5:33 PM
  My old judging form says to deduct two points for each "incorrect" instrument or clock. Further down it says to deduct one point for each "minor" added accessory "wrong or not working". I'd say you would lose one or two points (out of 1000). (You might also lose another point if the light in the clock doesn't work at the Operational Check.)

ford38v8    -- 03-29-2012 @ 12:08 AM
  Again, I'll caution that not every circumstance is identical. It is good to do your homework, though, so you'll know approximately how many points your car should retain. This knowledge then becomes a tool when considering which areas may benefit most from your restoration budget.

Alan

daoust    -- 03-29-2012 @ 5:33 AM
  Thanks guys. I have been pouring over that judging sheet all winter doing exactly as you suggest - deciding whats most important and weighing the "cost to fix" versus the "point deduction" for not being fixed. The clock will cost about $200 to have fixed.....is it worth 2 points? I guess that partly depends on how many other things need fixing.

Thanks again.

David Daoust

TomO    -- 03-29-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  David,

Most of the Ford electric clocks need very little to encourage them to work.

Remove the clock and get a 6 volt lantern battery to power the clock and tuner cleaner and lubricant from Radio Shack. Open the case and you will see a set of contacts. If the contacts are open, it is likely that the clock is wound. Spray the clock works liberally with the tuner cleaner, avoiding the balance wheel and its spring. Shake the clock to see if it starts to work. If it does not start, let it set for a few hours and spray it again and try shaking it again. The balance wheel should start to move. If it doesn't, then your clock needs professional repair.

Right now there are 3 clocks on E-Bay with the bidding at less than $100. This is another option.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-29-2012 @ 10:44 AM
  Another place to look is the very fine wires connected to the coil that works the winder. When the contacts close, the coil pulls the winder with a bang that seems to shake the wire(s) loose. Be sure that the fuse holder is making adequate contact. Sometimes it is necessary to stretch the holder spring a bit after years of compression. The movement of the clock is not exotic, more like an old alarm clock, and usually works if properly wound. Check the mounting screws to be sure the body of the clock is grounded.

BERTHA    -- 03-30-2012 @ 6:59 AM
  "Another place to look is the very fine wires connected to the coil that works the winder."

Exactly where the problem was with our clock!

It took me several years to work up the confidence to remove the clock and carefully bend back the bezel to gain access to the innards.
Once done the offending wire became readily apparent.
A small heated nail secured in a pair of vice-grips took care of it.
Been working fine for the last 20yrs....POI, the battery gets disconnected to put the clock to bed during storage.

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4503