Topic: aftermarket '37 hood ornament question

37ford    -- 03-24-2012 @ 8:22 PM
  I found this aftermarket hood ornament on ebay..and had it re-chromed. I have been wondering how rare this part is..never have seen another one. I found this hood ornament mentioned in the V8 Times Magazine volume 37, July/August edition. I believe it to be a "Franklin" Zephyr style 711X.

trjford8    -- 03-25-2012 @ 7:45 AM
  I have one like it, but mine may be for a 38 or 39 standard. The shaft is longer than the shaft on my stock 37 handle and the bezel that sits on the hood is different than my 37. The original chrome on mine is very good. I haven't seen any others at swap meets , so I think they may not be a common item.

37ford    -- 03-27-2012 @ 1:15 PM
  here is another pic of it on the car..are there any information I can gather for these hood ornaments? anyone collecting them? thanks

supereal    -- 03-27-2012 @ 2:19 PM
  I've seen others a swap meets, such as an ornament with a lock, but none like yours. The aftermarket has had various ornaments for years, such as a swan, bulldog, etc, that could sub for the original on many vehicles.. A tip: reduce the size of your photos before you post them in JPEG. They will load quicker, and present the whole photo.

37 Coupe    -- 03-27-2012 @ 2:41 PM
  Personally to me the best looking design is the original,it had the form and the function of a handle to open the hood. The only other "authorized" hood ornament is the locking hood handle with the ribs or grooves on the side but it looks bulky compared to the original Ford,it was definitely function over form. I have had them but never left them on the hood for long until I put original one back. The one Ford should have authorized or made available for the 37 was the aftermarket one that was based on original Ford design but was locking with a V8 lock cover.

37ford    -- 03-27-2012 @ 7:45 PM
  this hood ornament is in every way identical to the original in opening and closing,etc of the hood. I'm not totally sold on it though...does seem a little bulky. interesting piece though. I have been looking for the hood ornament that you mention with the ribs for a while..my favorite of the 23 aftermarket ornaments that were out there.

37ford    -- 03-31-2012 @ 1:45 PM
  If there were more than 23 different hood ornaments for the '37 Ford, V8 Times don't list them. bulldogs and swans weren't listed in the 23 but it would be neat to find a ribbed locking hood ornament. I have been looking for one for a long time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4497