Topic: fuel tanks

stevedavel    -- 03-23-2012 @ 7:11 AM
  Has anyone hsd experience with replacement fuel tanks? I need a tank for my 1941 1/2 ton stakebed. Are there plastic/fiberglass tanks available?
Stevereg35

trjford8    -- 03-23-2012 @ 8:44 AM
  Check with a company called "Tanks". You can find them on the web at; www.tanksinc.com.or call 877-596-3842. You might also check with Drake. He carries the steel tanks, but I'm not sure if he has the polyethylene ones.

supereal    -- 03-23-2012 @ 3:47 PM
  I have a plastic tank in my '47that I got from a place called "Yogis". Unless you are a purist or building a show car, they are a fine choice for lightly driven cars as they cannot rust. Most, if not all, original tanks have breached their "tern" coating, and have internal rusting, and need to be replaced. Another, but expensive, choice is stainless steel. Bob Drake has a line of those. Alcohol gas has made the effectiveness of internal coating doubtful.

TomO    -- 03-24-2012 @ 8:28 AM
  Be aware that most of the replacement tanks available do NOT accept the original sending unit. The after market sending units do not work as good as the original units.

It is becoming more difficult to find tans with the bottom fuel outlet as required by the stock fuel pump.

In other words the replacement tanks are NOT good reproductions.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-24-2012 @ 1:44 PM
  TomO, just for info the last new tank (steel tank) I bought from Drake had holes that allowed the use of a new style sender and the old style sender. Not sure about the other suppliers. I do know the plastic tanks use the modern sender, but you can get a sender that will work with the stock gauge for the plastic tank.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-24-12 @ 1:44 PM

TomO    -- 03-26-2012 @ 8:32 AM
  Tom, I suspect that it has been a few years or that you received stock from older inventory. Drake and other vendors did supply tanks that would accommodate the original sender, but new tanks do not accept it.

Here is a quote from the online catalog for the 41 pickup tank.

Accepts aftermarket 12-volt senders, Bob's 99A-9275 Sender for 1936-59, and the original 1933-35 hydrostatic sender using our 40-9003 adapter.

There has been considerable concern about the 99A-9275 Drake sender working correctly with the original ford gauge. Check the Ford Barn for some of the more scathing comments.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-26-2012 @ 11:48 AM
  We have used to "new" senders with few problems. It is necessary to bend or alter the float arm to get the reading to match the level in the tank, which does take some time and effort. We like to set them so they show empty with at least 3-4 gallons left in the tank. These senders are variable resistors, and I agree that they seem to be less accurate than the powered King-Seely units, but close. I don't believe the K-S units are reproduced. The 6 volt senders present a resistance of 10-100 ohms as the arm is mover thru the travel, while the 12 volt type shows measures 40 to 180 ohms, so be sure you have the correct model. In either case, a good ground to the body of the sender is necessary. With a plastic tank, a ground wire to one of the mounting screws is needed, but we usually install a new ground wire to all senders, as the tank may not furnish adequate connection. If you are installing the unit in a pickup from '48 thru '56, they are different than the car sender.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4492