Topic: Anti Chatter Rods

joe b    -- 03-18-2012 @ 12:26 PM
  While installing the engine back in my '41 and bolting in the anti chatter rods, I wondered. How do they work?

supereal    -- 03-18-2012 @ 12:57 PM
  They were designed to prevent the engine from being shoved forward by the rear axle and torque tube, and to transfer this energy directly to the frame via the crossmember instead of by the flexible motor mounts. It didn't prevent, or even lessen, the movement, which was being blamed for the clutch "chatter" common to most old Fords thru '48. There were variations of this attempt, including the attached photo of a device widely sold by auto supply stores, but didn't do much more. Henry Ford was famous for his resistance to change, and the torque tube design was present from the Model T's until the debut of the "new" Ford in 1949 which used the "Hotchkiss" design which used the rear suspension for the energy transfer.

Stroker    -- 03-18-2012 @ 2:27 PM
  Super said it all, but I might add that like "splash pans" most succumbed to early engine replacements, and from personal experience I would say that they simply didn't make any difference in terms of preventing "chatter". I installed them back on my 38 simply because
they are a correct original part, not because they actually do anything. I'd put them right up there with spring covers as a solution looking for a problem.

joe b    -- 03-18-2012 @ 6:36 PM
  Thanks Guys. I never really understood the installation.

fenbach    -- 03-19-2012 @ 5:13 PM
  speaking of the rods, i've always wondered what size is the square hole in the frame mount bolt? and why isn't it a standard size??

deuce_roadster    -- 03-19-2012 @ 8:30 PM
  I think they are 5/16. I took a 3/8 extension that the ball no longer held sockets and ground it down until it fit and it seemed to be 5/16. Henry used a lot of oddball sized stuff like the length of bolts to save material I think, but why the oddball square? I don't have a clue.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4474