Topic: Input shaft size for pickup vs. passenger car?

Flatbob    -- 03-11-2012 @ 9:07 PM
  Is the input shaft on '53 pickup bigger in diameter than the '53 passenger car input shaft? In other words, could they both share the same size t/o bearing?

supereal    -- 03-12-2012 @ 9:22 AM
  Now I understand your dilemma. I first encountered the problems of hooking a transmission to a non-stock engine way back in the early 50's when we put an Olds engine in my '46 sedan coupe, using a homemade adapter. I suspect the lack of information here is due to the fact that the Forum isn't dedicated to such projects, but in favor of the restoration of old Fords. An excellent source of information can be found at www.chassisengineeringinc.com They specialize in the necessary components for all kinds of modifications.

Flatbob    -- 03-12-2012 @ 10:05 AM
  Super, I agree this isn't the proper forum for the type of question I was asking but I tried the "Barn" & got no response. C&G shows a 10" pressure plate (CA-0779) for '32-'56 Ford pass. & pickup; my question is how can one pressure plate work for two different size t/o bearings. The later '49 t/o bearing has a smaller dia. than the earlier t/o bearings.

supereal    -- 03-12-2012 @ 12:34 PM
  As I recall, perhaps inaccurately, the t/o bearing and carrier is different beginning in '49 when the bell housing was changed, and a different style release fork was employed with the 8A bearing instead of the long used 78, until that time. The standard car pressure plate was 9.5", CA-8594. The 10", CA-0770, is shown for the earlier Merc, and the pickups. There is a difference in input shafts. The early shafts are 1.37", and the later, 49-56 are 1". That may account for the difference in t/o bearings and carrier. An earlier suggestion to use a S-10 plate and ARP flywheel bolts may be a solution. The changes between the long standing 32-48, and the later 49-53 were very drastic, and makes mix and match difficult, as you have found. When we make an engine swap, we change the engine and transmission as a unit. Last year, we put a V8 in an Econoline pickup. It mostly required fabrication of front and rear motor mounts, and a modified drive shaft, but was comparitively easy.

Flatbob    -- 03-12-2012 @ 1:20 PM
  Super, am exploring the S10 clutch disc option, also going to call FORT WAYNE CLUTCH and see if they can make me a 10" pressure plate with longer fingers to reach smaller dia. t/o bearing. Thanks for the help.

carcrazy    -- 03-12-2012 @ 3:01 PM
  Try Speedway Motors for clutch discs. They offer 9, 10, and 10 1/2 inch clutch discs with splines for 1 3/8" - 10 Spline Early Ford, 1" - 14 Spline S-10, or 1 1/8" - 26 spline GM. At least the one I bought, a 9" Clutch Disc with 1" - 14 Spline S-10 configuration, fits on my flywheel with clearance when using the stock Ford flywheel to crank mounting bolts. The stock Chevy S-10 9" Disc won't fit using the stock bolts as the center of the disc will interfere with them.

Flatbob    -- 03-12-2012 @ 3:46 PM
  carcrazy, thanks for the response. I will be contacting FORT WAYNE CLUTCH to see if they can help me out with my problem. I need them to make me 9.5" clutch disc with 10 spline & 1 1/16" dia.

Flatbob    -- 03-13-2012 @ 9:43 AM
  Called FWC and they have a 9.5" clutch disc that will work for me instead of the 10." The people at FWC are a pleasure to deal with. All that remains is to have my flywheel drilled for the 9.5" disc and re-balance with the 9.5" p/p..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4443