Topic: 9.5" pressure plate & 10" clutch disc?

Flatbob    -- 03-09-2012 @ 9:34 PM
  Can't find a 10" pressure plate listed that will work with my '49-'51 smaller diameter t/o bearing; so would it be alright to run a 9.5" pressure plate with the 10" clutch disc?

kubes40    -- 03-10-2012 @ 6:48 AM
  This is one of those questions that I think deserve talking to a "pro". Fort Wayne Clutch would probably best be suited to answer this.
Too much work involved to do this job incorrectly.
My gut tells me "bad idea". I would think the set up would lead to uneven pressure and premature failure.
One option would be to get a 9 1/2" plate and drill the flywheel to accept this. That way, the parts match and perform as intended.

supereal    -- 03-10-2012 @ 6:52 AM
  The pressure plate and disc must match. C&G sells both the pressure plate and the disc, as well as the correct release bearing. You will find them in their on line catalog, www.cgfordparts.com

Flatbob    -- 03-10-2012 @ 8:14 AM
  Just received a 10" pressure from FWC but is intended for the larger earlier throw bearing not the later'49-'51
passenger car smaller t/o bearing. Super, I used the C&G catalog & it shows a 10" pressure plate for the '32-'56 pickup & passenger car (CA-0779,) how can one pressure plate work with two different size t/o bearings? I believe it was on this site or the other one where someone was showing that the fingers on the '32-'48 pressure plate didn't contact the later '49-'51 smaller t/o bearing correctly. You couldn't get a late t/o bearing to work on early transmission because of the larger bearing retainer sleeve; does that help explain what I'm trying to say? Am having this problem because I'm mating a Mustang top loader to an 8BA that uses the Mustang 10" clutch disc.

butchbov    -- 03-10-2012 @ 10:16 AM
  I have a T5 behind my 8ba and am using the stock 9.5" pressure plate with a S10 disc. The disc hit the flywheel bolts so I got some thin headed bolts from ARP & everything has been fine for over 15 thousnd miles.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4433