Topic: 37 FORD GREYHOUND

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-09-2012 @ 9:10 AM
  Here is a picture of a 1937 FORD Greyhound hood ornament, this was on a 37 FORD COUPE at the DON GARTLIS CAR MUSUEM, if in FLA, besure to stop,
its worth it,
I thought some of the 1937 PEOPLE would find it interesting,first one I ever saw,
he also had a 37 FORD ROADSTER.with a rear mounted spare tire, they said it was original and was on a early car,
I have owned my 37 CABRIOLET since 1975 and never saw one or ever heard of a rear mounted spare on a 37,
I would like to hear anyone with proof,or have some pictures,[ I think it was a early conversion from a 36]
the way the car was in the musuem it was hard to see,
I did take a picture but it is hard to see what year car it is,
37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN!!!!!!!!

ford38v8    -- 03-09-2012 @ 11:01 AM
  That's interesting, I've never seen a greyhound on a '37 either. Of course, all greyhounds were non-Ford except the '34, so I guess someday we might see one on a '49!

I agree, no spare on the rear of any factory '37, no matter how early the build. That said, and in respect for Garlits, I'll say that such a modification could have been made by a Dealer in order to make the sale, but if it were to be point judged on the V8 Club Concourse, the burden of proof would lie with the owner.

Alan

trjford8    -- 03-09-2012 @ 7:08 PM
  I like the looks of that greyhound. Was probaly something from Western Aujto or JC Whitney. The roadster with the spare could've been a Ford that came from a foreign country.

rlh37ford    -- 04-24-2012 @ 6:23 PM
  I have a NOS 37 Ford Greyhound in my collection of 37 accessories. One of my goodies found back in the day when almost no one was interested in 37s. May put it on the Club Cabriolet or keep it in the showcase. It's the only one I've ever seen. Also have the authorized Ford locking ornament ~ NOS. I've never heard of a 37 rear mounted spare, just as others have already noted. Could be a custom conversion for a guy who had a 35 or 36 and wanted that look. Who knows if installed when car was new or sometime later.

TomO    -- 04-25-2012 @ 8:28 AM
  The external mounted spare is probably a modification done for the purchaser, just like the side-mount spare on the 37 Roadster in the Nancy Drew movies.

I agree that the Garlitts Museum is a great place to visit.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-25-12 @ 8:30 AM

37ford    -- 10-30-2018 @ 7:48 PM
  I collect these rare aftermarket hood ornaments for the '37 ford. I am currently running a Franklin locking hood ornament on my '37 ford club coupe. these most resemble the zephyr with a little differences. I have been looking for the greyhound, they made a few different styles of the greyhound for the '37. The one I would like to find is the post at the back with the tail..I am sure they were fragile.

This message was edited by 37ford on 10-30-18 @ 7:49 PM

37ford    -- 10-30-2018 @ 7:50 PM
  This is the Franklin I am currently running on my '37 ford club coupe.

37ford    -- 10-30-2018 @ 8:24 PM
  I wish i could post more attachments in one post.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4429