Topic: 39 Ford Battery

trb41    -- 03-06-2012 @ 11:55 AM
  Have a 39 Ford Deluxe cpe with a Ford reproduction battery that needs replaced. Don't want to use another reproduction battery since I do not show the car anymore. Anyone know of a battery of that size I can use. From bottom of case to top of case is 7". Can't be any taller in order to use the orginial battery brackets that mount to the firewall. 49 to 53 Ford battery is too tall to use with the original battery frame brackets since the brackets mount on the firewall and can't be relocated. Thanks!

MG    -- 03-06-2012 @ 12:51 PM
  Try to find a 6V Group 2L battery.

supereal    -- 03-06-2012 @ 3:18 PM
  Best battery for old cars is the Optima. It holds a good charge indefinitely, doesn't leak acid, and has over 800 cold cranking amps.

TomO    -- 03-07-2012 @ 8:41 AM
  A lot of us have converted the script Ford battery cases to accept the Optima battery.

For the 39 Ford, this requires cutting out the bottom of the script case so the Optima will fit in the case and then modifying the battery stand by cutting out a section and lowering it the amount that the Optima sticks out the bottom of the case and welding it back in.

Tom

Stroker    -- 03-07-2012 @ 9:16 AM
  I don't think modifying the bottom of a 39 firewall-mounted battery box is practicable unless
you are scratch building a replacement firewall. What I did, (some 55 years ago) was to simply
weld extensions on to the hold down studs so I could use the then readily-available and higher capacity Ford High-Type batt. About 20 years ago, I decided to go to a "Script" 2L battery in place of the "High-Type", so I could install the original battery locking bolt inside the car. In order to allow my lengthened hold downs to clamp, I simply added sleeves between the top of the hold down and the wing nuts. Were I to ever "show" this car, I'd simply cut the welded-on
extensions off, and chase the original threads on the hold-down studs.

TomO    -- 03-07-2012 @ 9:39 AM
  Stroker, I forgot about the 39 standard battery box, my solution was for the Deluxe frame mounted tray. The tray needs to be modified because the firewall mounted hold down will not clear the higher battery.

Tom

Stroker    -- 03-07-2012 @ 9:46 AM
  TomO:

I hope I haven't confused anyone. I obviously should have read in the original post
that it was a "Deluxe".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4416