Topic: O.D. for '49-'54 bearing retainer sleeve?

Flatbob    -- 03-03-2012 @ 9:36 PM
  Can anyone tell me what the O.D. dimension is for the bearing retainer sleeve for the '49-'54 Ford passenger car 3 speed transmission is?

supereal    -- 03-04-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  I haven't found that info in any of my manuals. If someone has access to the part, they could supply it, or you can measure the I.D. of the release bearing carrier to determine the O.D., as the carrier should be a few thousandths wider to allow it to move easily along the retainer. Unless the nose of the retainer has been damaged, or the part is incorrect, it usually isn't critical.

Flatbob    -- 03-04-2012 @ 3:48 PM
  Super, the I.D. on t/o bearing is 1.445". I intend to use this t/o in a non stock application (mating a Mustang top loader to an 8BA) and was trying to figure out what would be the correct amount of clearance should be. Measured my '36 t/o and sleeve and came up with just about .010" but am about .015" with the '49 t/o on the top loader bearing retainer sleeve; am wondering if that's close enough? Thanks, Bob

This message was edited by Flatbob on 3-4-12 @ 3:49 PM

Stroker    -- 03-04-2012 @ 6:29 PM
  Bob:

Consider the function of the sleeve. All it has to do is keep the T/O bearing somewhat
centered, and allow for axial travel without binding or cocking. At most, the .0075 clearance
(per side) should be more than close enough to allow it to function.

If the T/O bearing isn't precisely-centered, you wouldn't notice any ill-effects when the
clutch is depressed, and of course the bearing stops turning, and is just along for the ride when the clutch is engaged. I don't believe this is a critical fit, as long as it simply
functions.

supereal    -- 03-04-2012 @ 8:13 PM
  I agree with Dan (stroker). Ford used the same front bearing retainer design for many years, and without seeing your parts, I think it is a good guess that dimension didn't change.

Flatbob    -- 03-04-2012 @ 8:14 PM
  Stroker, like your reasoning, it makes my life much simpler. I was over thinking a simple function. Thanks, Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4402