Topic: people who claim in classifieds they want cars

bobs36    -- 12-13-2009 @ 1:35 PM
  people who put ads in the classifieds and say that they want or are looking to buy a certain car, and after receiving information etc, do not have the courtesy of responding or saying thank you.

tierod    -- 12-13-2009 @ 4:44 PM
  GENERALLY YES. YOU'RE DEALING WITH A GOOD BUNCH WHOSE BOND IS THE FORD V8 AND WANT TO BE HELPFUL. THAT BEING SAID YOU'LL ALWAYS FIND BOZOS WHO DON'T FIT THE PATTERN.

trjford8    -- 12-13-2009 @ 6:46 PM
  Bob, some of the guys that post want ads are car dealers. There's one in particular who posts want ads on here and on Fordbarn. If you are not selling a $20,000 car for $10,000 you will not get an answer. These buyers are "trolling" for the person who inherited a car from "uncle Joe" and wants to sell it for the $.These sellers usually have no idea of the value of the car.
I've been in the hobby for some time and recognize these guys when they post.Tierod is correct, most all the people on here are honest, upfront people. But once in a while there is a Bozo or two.

ford38v8    -- 12-13-2009 @ 9:30 PM
  I've been meaning to have a say about dealers for a long time, and now is as good a time as any. Yes, it's true, without car dealers, many of us would have a hard time finding a car to buy. However, the unwary Newbie in the hobby is well advised to stay the H#££ away from any and all dealers.

Leave the car dealers to those who know what they are dealing with. Newbies have one big asset (money), and a host of problems (naiveté), in how to acquire the collector car of their dreams.

Almost all of us were Newbies at one time, including myself, of course. Although I had Fords in my youth and had done all my own work on them, I hadn't the money to enter the hobby until late in life, and bought a collector car from a well known Auctioneer, which is the biggest mistake a Newbie can make. I won't go into details, but I wised up real quick and cut my losses, selling the car back to the Auctioneer to chump someone else.

There's a car for sale right now that a buddy of mine asked me to check out online, as I'm very familiar with the model. It's for sale by a dealer, and the published pictures show some of the problems, I'm sure not all. A Newbie would fall in love with it and pay way too much, not recognizing those problems until they gradually become visible even to him.

It doesn't take a genius to know that you should not dive into a swimming hole without knowing where the submerged boulders are, but Newbies somehow don't know that yet because they see everyone else enjoying the hobby, and they jump right in head first.

Newbies, take a lesson here: Swallow your pride and admit to yourself that you don't know squat, and take along a buddy who does. Stay away from dealers, do your homework, remember that the car you look at tomorrow is not the only one in the world, and when you find the model of your choice, buy the very best one of that model that you can find, even if you have to pay more than your buddy tells you it's worth.

A note to dealers: I don't have anything personal against you, it's just that I hate your guts and wouldn't vote for you if you ran for President.

Alan

bobs36    -- 12-14-2009 @ 7:41 AM
  thanks for all the imput, looks like i got the BOZO person,bob

Chevguy49Ford    -- 12-14-2009 @ 8:32 AM

quote:

A note to dealers: I don't have anything personal against you, it's just that I hate your guts and wouldn't vote for you if you ran for President.

Haha, now who would take that personally?

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

supereal    -- 12-14-2009 @ 9:17 AM
  Time after time, we see cars at our shop that came from a "dealer", and proved to be a big disappointment to the unsuspecting buyer. The two most recent were a '57 T-Bird, bought sight unseen from California, and a Buick convertible that was billed as a rare car. Both had problems. The T-Bird has a bad engine, and the Buick was a "clone", not the real thing, but sold for big bucks. We asked both owners why they didn't have the cars examined by a reputable shop before they bit. Both were new to the hobby, and made the fatal mistake of trusting an unknown seller. Alan make great points. All of us, at one time or another, have made or were about to make a mistake when we found the car we were yearning for. Then old adage "act in haste and repent at leisure" certainly applies. Always keep in mind that, when all is done, you still end up with an old car that may not match your expectations, even in the best case.

40guy    -- 12-14-2009 @ 9:39 AM
  I guess I have trouble comprehending the dealer mentality. Most dealers of collector vehicles seem to have no real love for the vehicles, just a way to make money. I could'nt be a dealer because I would want to keep them all! But thats how I know I am a true hobbyist.

wmsteed    -- 12-14-2009 @ 10:47 AM
  All the dialog about the honesty of "seller/dealers" brings to mind an old story I heard many years ago.

Farmer John places an ad on the wall at the local general store for a horse he wants to sell.
Upon seeing the ad Bob goes out to Farm John's place to look at the horse.
Looking the horse over Bob notes that the horse' coat is scuffy and the shoes are in bad shape.
Bob tells the farmer that the horse don't look to good. Farmer John responds that it is a fact that the horse don't look to good.
Sensing a good deal in the making, Bob offers Farmer John a low price for the horse... the farmer accepts the offer.
Upon getting the horse home Bob discovers that the horse is blind. Bob promptly returns to Farmer John's place, informing Farmer John that the horse is blind.
Without batting an eye... Farmer John informs Bob....
Before you bought the horse I told you "THE HORSE DON'T LOOK TO GOOD".

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8    -- 12-14-2009 @ 8:17 PM
  Bill, I just got my laugh for today on that one!

planecrazy    -- 12-15-2009 @ 9:38 AM
  Out of curiosity,has anyone bought from a dealer whom they thought was fair and honest ?

40guy    -- 12-15-2009 @ 3:28 PM
  I have bought a total of three collector cars from dealers in my life. The only reason I bought from them is the cars were reasonable in price. Two turned out to be very good cars and one I got stuck on. Three different dealers by the way. However, I don't know their reputation or if these two good ones "slipped through the cracks". I don't think we can label all as crooks because of the actions of some.

Chevguy49Ford    -- 12-15-2009 @ 5:59 PM

quote:

I have bought a total of three collector cars from dealers in my life. The only reason I bought from them is the cars were reasonable in price. Two turned out to be very good cars and one I got stuck on. Three different dealers by the way. However, I don't know their reputation or if these two good ones "slipped through the cracks". I don't think we can label all as crooks because of the actions of some.

True enough. I am a mechanic by trade. About 99% of the general public thinks everyone who works in a repair shop is a scathing crook who lives to rip off anyone he can. I kind of know how the dealers feel sometimes. I have dealt with an awful lot of car dealers big and small, both personally and professionally, for over twenty years. I have had some really good experiences and some really bad ones. I can say the same for any kind of business I have ever dealt with.

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

This message was edited by Chevguy49Ford on 12-15-09 @ 6:02 PM

trjford8    -- 12-15-2009 @ 7:09 PM
  Planecrazy, I have bought cars from a dealer in Portland, Or. It's called Memory Lane Motors;www.memorylaneclassiccars.com. A friend of mine also bought a car from them. The owner is a V-8 Club member and has been in business for a long time. I've bought two cars from them and both deals were satisfactory. If they had a car that I wanted I would return to them for the purchase.
The secret to buying is ask lots of questions and preferably inspect the car youself or have someone do it for you. If you do not know the seller you should never buy the car sight unseen. I have used V-8 Club members to inspect cars for that may be too far away. You need all the information you can get before making a purchase. You do not want "buyers remorse". I have come across a lot of e-bay deals that the new owner was reselling due to "buyers remorse". Most all of them had been mis-represented or there was very little information in the original ad.I would definitely shy away from auctions unless I could personally inspect the car.

wmsteed    -- 12-16-2009 @ 9:57 AM
  The majority of the comments contained in this thread are spot on the mark...
It is true that some dealers/repairmen are in the eyes of many people "less than completely honest" however, in reality the purchaser/customer is usually the main culprit in the equation.
The terms..."There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, or you can't cheat an honest man" usually set the mode for low quality of a product.
Everyone likes a good deal, however in many cases low price equals low quality.
I have found that when it comes to the quality of a product, be it cars or shoes, if the purchaser is not qualified to properly evaluate the product, they had better get the help of someone that can evaluate the product/services before they sh*ll out their money.

Hmmmmm? I find it interesting that we have the spelling police lurking in the background...
In two different postings to the forum I have written the word SHELL only to have it come up as sh*ll. I wonder what would happen if I spelled SHIRT, if I meant sh*t would the program omit the R?

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Stroker    -- 12-16-2009 @ 10:07 AM
  The "Sp*lling Polic*" ar* th*r* to pr*v*nt us from writing Ch*vrol*t.

Stroker    -- 12-16-2009 @ 10:07 AM
  The "Sp*lling Polic*" ar* th*r* to pr*v*nt us from writing Ch*vrol*t.

MOXIE    -- 12-16-2009 @ 12:37 PM
  In defense of folks who post ads wanting cars and not responding. If I put an ad in for a 1934 Ford coupe and you send me a picture of a 1939 Chevrolet for sale, I may or may not respond, depending on how busy I am. When I get an email from someone answering an ad, I get excited thinking this may be the car, and than open it up and it has noting to do with what I asked for, I most likely will just delete it just because of the disappointment.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=437