Topic: 1936 Ford Light Switch Control Rod Removal

cassidy    -- 02-22-2012 @ 2:36 PM
  On my 1936 Ford the steering wheel hub nut has come loose. Steering wheel moves up and down approx. 1''.
I removed light switch from bottom of steering column and I'm looking at a Jesus clip & spring. If I remove clip & spring will that release control rod so I can slide it up and gain access to steering wheel hub nut?
Any tricks to reassembling spring & clip? MAC's sells a Spider installation tool which I have sent for.
Any ideas would be apperciated.
Jim Cassidy

nelsb01    -- 02-22-2012 @ 2:48 PM
  You are correct about removing the clip at the end of the rod. You will also have to loosen the steering column from the dash board to remove the rod (if that is needed).
Otherwise you should be able to have someone hold the rod up and tighten the steering wheel nut with a wrench.
I don't remember it being that hard to compress the spring and insert the clip. But, that was a while ago, and I was able to lift a lot more then.

supereal    -- 02-23-2012 @ 11:26 AM
  Also, be careful not to bend the rod, as they are not being reproduced, as far as I know. The threads on the steering shaft are fine, and easy to damage from overtightening, so be careful. Someone may have already stripped he threads, which would account for the loose wheel. In that case, repair can get complicated.

bbook    -- 02-23-2012 @ 10:56 PM
  The Macs spider installation tool is helpful, but be careful not to break either of the tabs on the spider while you are installing. Hopefully, you still have the original spider, because the reproduction one you can buy from Mac's is cheap light metal that breaks easily.

On my '36 1.5 ton truck, I couldn't remove the rod without it hitting the top of the cab and had to unbolt the steering column and loosen bolts on the steering gear to remove it through the back window. Hopefully, you have more room in the car.

supereal    -- 02-24-2012 @ 11:00 AM
  If you don't have an open car, the column, steering box and associated linkage has to be disconnected so it can be lowered enough to allow the horn rod to be removed. Unless the rod is broken or damaged, it may not be necessary to remove it

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4363