Topic: Wolf Whistle?

1934 Ford    -- 02-17-2012 @ 5:33 PM
  Where on the 21 stud V8 is the best source for enough vacuum to operate a wolf whistle?
I know it's not a factory accessory, but I'd like it to work, just for fun.

Stroker    -- 02-17-2012 @ 6:20 PM
  If you can find (check with our webmaster), a Columbia vacuum plate, which fits between the intake manifold and your Stromberg 48, it has about a 3/8" hose barb that should do the trick. One of these would probably provide the most volume of vacuum flow to feed your "wolf"....Twenty-Three Skidoo!

ford38v8    -- 02-17-2012 @ 9:11 PM
  Paul, I ran a wolf whistle when I first bought my car, and i know yoiu're not a Newbie either, so what's this fetish all about with wolf whistles at your age?

OK, you don't need a vaccuum plate, just get a 1/4" T, a length of tubing like your vaccuum tube to your windshield wiper and go for it. Mount the whistle on a bracket where you can run a cable throught an existing hole. On mine, I connected the cable to my cigar lighter.

One thing... you'll be running lean while you whistle at the gals, so reserve that whistle for the prettiest, and use your Bermuda bell for all the rest.

Alan

1934 Ford    -- 02-18-2012 @ 4:49 PM
  I tried the Columbia vacuum plate; too weak.
I tried a direct tap into the manifold, still to weak.
We drive our V8's and they run like hot rods, but don't hsve the vacuum to work that old whistle.
More suggestions needed.
Paul

Old Henry    -- 02-18-2012 @ 10:34 PM
  I tried one of these "wolf whistles" and was very disappointed in their performance and finally concuded it was for several reasons: First, they are not a whistle at all but a siren. The sound is made by spinning a perforated disc just like a siren. Second, instead of blowing air through the "siren" that would project the sound like a real siren, the siren is spun by sucking air through it, thus, sucking whatever sound it creates into the engine instead of projecting it out. Third, the "pitch" of the siren does not change as a true "wolf whistle" would. Only the volume changes. Doesn't matter what volume of vacuum you apply to the thing. It's not going to fix any of those problems.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 2-19-12 @ 7:46 PM

JT Ford    -- 02-20-2012 @ 6:40 AM
  The old orginal whistles did work fine...A tee in the vacumn line would operate the whistle ok. They worked very will at calling the gals. The new China ones that Speedway sells are worthless! I got stuck with one too........

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4351