Topic: stalling when turning right

fomocoloco    -- 02-16-2012 @ 6:44 PM
  My stock 36 runs and drives fine, except sometimes when slowing and turning right, it stalls. It starts back up, burps gas, then runs ok again. It has an electric fuel pump set at 3psi. It appears to be leaking gas from the float bowl.

weezer

supereal    -- 02-16-2012 @ 7:16 PM
  It is likely your carb is being swamped. Any fuel pressure over 2 pounds will get past the float needle. Reset the float if the level is too high, and install a regulator between the pump and the carb. Stalling when turning is often the result of a pickup tube in the tank that is partially rusted away. This allows the fuel to slosh away from the pickup when turning. You can remove the sender and look into the tank with a flashlight to see if that is the cause. Don't use a plugin trouble light which might ignite gas fumes.

deuce_roadster    -- 02-16-2012 @ 7:29 PM
  Wezzer, I think you have diagnosed your own problem. Usually when a car dies when turning or stopping it is due to a too high float level. In your case you have an electric pump adding to the problem by being set too high.
Put in an adjustable fuel regulator if you don't already have one and set it to 2.5 pounds max. Then make sure your float level is correct and that they float itself and needle and seat are good. I'm not sure what carb you have but start checking here.

As a side note. I have 2 97s on my car and also have an electric pump. I set my float levels with the tops off the carbs while on the car. I unhook the distrib wire so I don't cook the points, turn on the ign to make the pump fill the bowls. Watching closely if one gets too high I turn off the pump before it overflows. This way I can see the level where the needle shuts off the fuel. Then I take a big syringe and empty the bowl, reset the float level and try again. THIS MUST BE DONE OUTSIDE WITH ALL NORMAL PRECAUTIONS but if careful isn't dangerous. CAR IS NOT RUNNING AND THE ONLY POWER IS TO THE ELECTRIC PUMP BACK NEAR THE GAS TANK. So don't flame me about this. (pun intended)

You can do the same thing on your bench with a gravity feed fuel source if you have the carb off the car too.

LTim1947    -- 02-16-2012 @ 10:22 PM
  Thanks: The pressure reg had been set at 2 lbs but the data book I have suggested to set it at 4lbs for stromberg carbs.The engine is not flooding at 4 lbs. I'll try anything before tearing the engine down. With all the attenion to detail on the cars previous restoration, prior to the wreck,it dosent seem that some one would go to such trouble everywhere else just to run with a junk motor rebuild using all new parts. However in my years I've seen it all.

LJT

keith oh    -- 02-18-2012 @ 8:05 AM
  Make sure you do not have a rubber tip fuel inlet valve. They do not do well with this new fuel formula.Uncle Max probably has the all steel ones.

fomocoloco    -- 02-18-2012 @ 10:13 AM
  pardon my ignorance, but who is uncle max?

weezer

keith oh    -- 02-18-2012 @ 1:49 PM
  He is Stromberg dealer, a great guy. You can Google Uncle Max- Stromberg. I think his Email is madmax1946@comcast.net.

fomocoloco    -- 02-18-2012 @ 6:45 PM
  im trying to reach max about a price on new 97. email fails because of "default mail client"? whatever that m

eans. amyone have a phone # ? or free advice?

weezer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4346