Topic: 36 roadster UTE

smiley    -- 02-14-2012 @ 3:11 PM
  I have a 36 australian made roadster ute. I need a new fuel tank but I don't know if I should order one for a passenger car or a pickup. C&G lists different numbers for each. Anyone have any idea? Are they the same tank? Finally got new heads on it now the tank is giving me fits.Its been patched in a couple of places and its pretty beat up, just need a new one. thanks Kenny

Stroker    -- 02-14-2012 @ 3:40 PM
  Kenny:

Hopefully someone "Down Under" will respond; but here in the US, our trucks had the fuel tank
also functioning as the seat base, and on the cars, it was mounted behind the rear spring
mount/crossmember. I would speculate that a "UTE" is more like a US car than a truck, and I'd also guess that if it mounts in the rear, then a car tank should work.

smiley    -- 02-14-2012 @ 4:50 PM
  Striker, thanks for the reply. I didn't know where the fuel tank was located on a 36 pickup. My 51 is behind the seat,I believe the ute will use a passenger car tank. It is located behind the spring between the frame. I'll get one ordered in the morning. I've had this truck for a few years and I'm excited to drive it. Should be a challenge setting on the wrong side! Thanks again, Kenny

Don Rogers    -- 02-15-2012 @ 5:36 AM
  Our 36 Pickups were built on a commercial chassis which had the same wheelbase as the passenger chassis and had the gas tank in the rear of the chassis as did your Ute. Because of body shape the pickup gas tank was different than the passenger car. You need to do more investigation before you purchase your new tank. I am posting some images from several brochures that I have seen in the past that should lead you in the right direction. It appears from the images that the Ute used a passenger car gas tank and that the gas filler neck came out thru the left side rear fender. YOU NEED TO VERIFY THIS!!

Don Rogers    -- 02-15-2012 @ 5:37 AM
  CHASSIS IMAGE

Don Rogers    -- 02-15-2012 @ 5:39 AM
  36 ROADSTER UTE WITH GAS NECK IN REAR FENDER???

40fordor    -- 02-15-2012 @ 7:54 AM
  Don, or anyone with information, I have a question about the ute air cleaner shown in the chassis picture. I have seen these on US cars and would like to know if these were used on any US production cars.

Don Rogers    -- 02-15-2012 @ 8:37 AM
  40fordor
The Big air cleaner shown on the Ute chassis is typical of the large oil bath air cleaner used by Ford in 35/36. It carried part # 51-9625 and was used on trucks, commercial vehicles and passenger cars. With the introduction of a smaller "hat" type oil bath cleaner in April of 1935(48-9625-B)the bigger cleaner saw limited use.

40fordor    -- 02-15-2012 @ 9:48 AM
  Don, thanks for the response. I did not ask the right question before. The big oil bath air cleaner is familiar and shown in the excellent 35-36 book. Is the mounting assembly which takes it over to the passenger side of the engine correct for passenger cars? I have a 36 phaeton and use that book often.
Don

Don Rogers    -- 02-15-2012 @ 10:56 AM
  Don The Oil bath can be mounted on a truck engine or passenger car engine. The dimensions are identical!!

smiley    -- 02-16-2012 @ 2:34 AM
  Don, The image is the same as my Ute.I believe the passenger car tank is what I need. My Ute doesn't have the big air cleaner.Thanks for the info.Kenny

40fordor    -- 03-25-2012 @ 5:26 PM
  Don Rogers, I have reviewed my 35-36 book again and there is no reference to how the oil bath could or should be connected to the carburator. In concourse judging would the cross over mount be correct for a passenger car as well as mounting it directly on top of the carb? My concern is not will it fit but is it correct as manufactured.
Don

Don Rogers    -- 03-25-2012 @ 9:15 PM
  Don, See OilBath.jpg image above for image. It shows mounting of oil bath cleaner.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4342